ok don't laugh at my ignorance!

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
Ok I have read many posts that talk about an ORP. I still have yet to grasp WTF it is. I know it has something to with exhaust and it makes it loud. What does it stand for and where can I obtain this ORP?

6SpeedLover

Established Member
From what i get, they might tell you different. But the ORP stands for Off Road Pipe, and what they tell me is that its loud.. Thats all i know bro, but they will fill you in on the rest... Good Luck.

"WILL RACE FOR FOOD"

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
You can do a google search and a bunch of ORPs come up. Most of them are for Focus'. Apparently they add about 7hp and 9lb/tq. But I think "off road" is telling you it won't be street legal. I thought it replaced the cat, but I think I'm wrong.

ClOckwOrk

Established Member
its also known as a "test pipe" its a flange x flange piece of pipe that replaces where your cat goes. it does make the car louder. should be a bolt on though :)

Daeron

Established Member
An ORP replaces the stock cat...it is louder and you gain HP, but you lose back pressure and thus lose some torque, but not too much.

SVTFsOnIcBlUe

C:\Socuments and Dettings
Established Member
Daeron said:
An ORP replaces the stock cat...it is louder and you gain HP, but you lose back pressure and thus lose some torque, but not too much.

Hmmm....well we are not big torgue makers to begin with. So the benefit is further up the RPM band then. I think the new Z06 actually has small valves that partially close somewhere in the exhaust piping at lower RPMs and then open up after a certain speed/RPM to help develop low end torgue. That is an excellent idea!! Until the mechanism that opens the valves Breaks!! :whine: hmmm...sounds familiar don't it??

brisk_tea

Established Member
Yes, it can. I found it to be much easier, and quicker to have the studs removed from the stock cat. This allows the o2 sensors to be on the cat prior to install and you don't have to remove the heat shields. Also the studs on the cat will eventually rust away and break anyway. The car will be obnoxiously loud with the orp, but it does give a nice gain in driving, and in my case I pick up about 3-4 mpg.

HTPerformance

Straight pipe/Test pipe/ Off-road Pipe.... whatever pipe, hash pipe... it all means that same.

I am on the side of the fence that says use it if you are racing, take it off and put in a high-flow cat if it is a daily driver.

JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread