Oiled too much my Air Filter :(

cariacou

Established Member
Ooops..

I did my 50k maintenance this week end, changed the oil, coolant and cleaned & oiled the Steeda CAI.

Unfortunately, I soaked the air filter in oil, and forgot to let it dry and clean the excess. I drove the car for a couple days, and today when I pulled the hood, the air intake has tons of oil inside :(

I'm trying to clean as much as I can, but I can't reach far.

that was my first time cleaning the filter, and I should have read more about it. is cleaning as much as I can enough or do I need to get it serviced ?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the only thing you need to worry about is oil on the MAF itself.

Youll know when the car runs crappy because the MAF is picking up the wrong signals due to oil coating the diode. If your car is running fine, I wouldn't worry. Filter oil coating the insides of your intake tract will have zero negative effects.

cariacou

Established Member
the only thing you need to worry about is oil on the MAF itself.

Youll know when the car runs crappy because the MAF is picking up the wrong signals due to oil coating the diode. If your car is running fine, I wouldn't worry. Filter oil coating the insides of your intake tract will have zero negative effects.

now that's a good news :)

I'll go ahead and cleans this as much as I can, and if I have to get it serviced I'll put back the stock CAI

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
also to add... if your maf is giving you issues because of the oil, get maf cleaner. it's in the same isle as the filter cleaners.

maf cleaner isn't as abrasive as other cleaners and won't ruin the electronics of the maf.

Users who are viewing this thread