Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 15W-50 –
Performance Driving Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-30 –
Enhanced Fuel Economy Formula

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ 0W-40 –
European Car Formula"

Cobra'03

Established Member
You are 100% wrong. M1 is not made in 5w20. Just use the 5w30.

TTT, we have discussed whether or not to use 5w20 extensively and you might want to read the threads before you go to great lengths to use the sewing machine oil Ford suggests.

Lomancobra

Established Member
Ok, I am sorry I was mistaken then.

I was persuaded by the earlier talk of the 5w30 being better, but after talking to one of the guys at ford it seems that the reason they want to use 5w20 is because there is less clearance between the pistons and the block. The larger weight would not lubricate as well because the pistons do not have as much clearance. I don't know how much the guy knew, but it seemed to make sense.

kino

Established Member
What about Royal Purple that I hear about alot? Has anybody tried or will be trying that one?

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Lomancobra

Ford is feeding you BS. Cobra'03 has conclusively demonstrated that the 5w-20 oil serves no purpose except adding a tiny bit more fuel economy, over thousands of cars, which benefits Ford but will lead to accelerated wear on your engine. Do a search on his name for his post, complete with documentation from the one of the federal alphabet agencies, on this point. It was in July or so I think.

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by Lomancobra
Ok, I am sorry I was mistaken then.

I was persuaded by the earlier talk of the 5w30 being better, but after talking to one of the guys at ford it seems that the reason they want to use 5w20 is because there is less clearance between the pistons and the block. The larger weight would not lubricate as well because the pistons do not have as much clearance. I don't know how much the guy knew, but it seemed to make sense.

Sorry, that is a technical illiterate speaking (not you). The tolerances are essentially the same as 2001 - which used 5w30. As I posted previously, BMW M3 and M5's were originally spec'd with Castrol "R" 10w60, and their piston to cylinder and bearing clearances are tighter. So much for the low vis necessity.

Do a search on "Why ford says no synoil" for the truth.

Short version - it was done for emissions and Ford's CAFE. The fine print on their 5w20 propaganda sheet says that there were "no oil related breakdowns". Of course not - you could use Pep Boys receycled oil and not have one. Oil related breakdowns are almost completely unknown these days - but oil related wear, caused by boundary lubrication failure, is a real issue. That will undoubtedly be higher with the 20 weight. Ford wants to be a good corporate citizen, and does not care if your engine last 100k or 200k. I prefer 200k.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Cobra'03,

Thanks so much for helping us out, by expounding upon an obviously much researched topic in your knowledge base.

After reading your posts, I am taking back my Motorcraft 5W-20 that I bought and exchanging it for Mobil 5W-30. The Motorcraft is unused of course. ;-)

Do you have similar experience with oil filters, as you do with oil and oil additive packages? I'm sure more people than just myself would like to read what you have to say about that subject as well.

I'm a reformed Slick 50 user, BTW. :smmon: :uh oh:

bender460

Established Member
I've read to give your motor 5K befor the switch to synthetic. Synthetic will not let the rings seat properly.? Any of you heard about this?

Cobra'03

Established Member
1) Joe: Nothing pleases Heaven more than a sinner saved!

2) Fender: I have also posted on the switchover thing.
a) Mobil 1 is factory fill in Corvettes, Astons, M-B's, etc.
b) Ring stability is achieved within 500 miles due to tech advances

Factory fill only means it will take a bit longer for engines to reach their oil consumption baseline.

I plan to go 1000 miles with mineral, then switchover to 0w30 syn. 5w30 is just as acceptable. 5k or 6 month change intervals

RE: Additives - no external additives are valid. Stick with what the mfr has developed for their product (i.e. with what is in the oil can). Royal Purple claims it has magic additives technology, but was unable (or unwilling) to provide me with any details for their prorpietary mix. That makes me uneasy, as it is possible to goose an additive package with one additive that looks good on a dyno, but causes problems by its excess in another important area of lubrication. The additive companies like Lubrizol balance these things carefully - adding more is not necessarily a benefit.

For all: Modern oils have advanced tremendously - even store bought Pennzoil multi-vis is the performance equivalent of Mobil 1 just a few years ago - Pennzoil invested hundreds of millions to develop its new processing/refining plant to hydrocrack mineral oil, and that is the "PureBase" product. Others (Valvoline) have followed suit or will be.

RE: Oil filters.
Top tier are Amsoil, Mobil 1, Purolator Pure 1, Motorcraft, Wix. in order of overall estimated quality.

One advantage of the Motocraft is no one will ever fault you for using it! If you plan to go with an aftermarket filter, it is essential that its oil bypass valve open and work in the same PSI range as stock. That can be checked in the tech section of my cross-indexes.

Users who are viewing this thread