Oil Temperature

13BlackGT500

Established Member
So I recently bought a 2014 GT500. I did a second gear pull and I noticed that the oil temperature gauge went up significantly. It doesn’t tell me the actual oil temp, but it did raise a lot for just one pull. The oil temp did stay within the range labeled as normal. The temp went back down after a couple of minutes of driving. I then did some more pulls (even longer ones), and the temp did not raise at all. Should I be worried, and what could have cause that? Also, at no point did the coolant temp change.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
So I recently bought a 2014 GT500. I did a second gear pull and I noticed that the oil temperature gauge went up significantly. It doesn’t tell me the actual oil temp, but it did raise a lot for just one pull. The oil temp did stay within the range labeled as normal. The temp went back down after a couple of minutes of driving. I then did some more pulls (even longer ones), and the temp did not raise at all. Should I be worried, and what could have cause that? Also, at no point did the coolant temp change.

Well, you’re in Miami, in July smashin the gas on a 660+hp ModMotor.

I wouldn’t get too freaked out about the oil temp rising abit on a hard pull.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I’m in New Mexico now, it was in the low 80’s °F. I did stomp on it but it was from like 50-90mph. So it seemed like a bit much

Point is, it ain’t 30oF where you are, it’s a high performance engine, you smashed the go peddle for a full loaded street pull.

Heats gotta go somewhere.

13BlackGT500

Established Member
Point is, it ain’t 30oF where you are, it’s a high performance engine, you smashed the go peddle for a full loaded street pull.

Heats gotta go somewhere.

Yea, I was also reading and its seems there is no actual oil temp sensor. It’s just an estimate based on other parameters

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I would call that an odd moment and watch if it occurs again. My 14 is in S. Texas and I drive it in 100 heat and the gauge doesn't change when I get spirited. And I don't have track pack either.

Tom

13BlackGT500

Established Member
I would call that an odd moment and watch if it occurs again. My 14 is in S. Texas and I drive it in 100 heat and the gauge doesn't change when I get spirited. And I don't have track pack either.

Tom

Drove it yesterday, and did a few pulls. Even drove up a mountain road with significant elevation change, and everything looked good. I will keep an eye on it though.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yea, I was also reading and its seems there is no actual oil temp sensor. It’s just an estimate based on other parameters
Not saying you're wrong, but I don't recall seeing/hearing that about oil temp. It is, however, accurate for the factory boost "gauge."

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member

This is how it works.

The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) receives data from the PCM over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) communication bus to control the air/fuel ratio, boost/vacuum (GT500), inlet air temperature, oil temperature and transmission oil temperature virtual gauges. The IPC monitors the data received from the PCM and commands the appropriate gauge indication.

I believe you had an electrical communication issue more than a actual issue with motor oil temp based on your statements. If it occurs again check for any DTC communication issues for your IPC. The DTC will start with U

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

13BlackGT500

Established Member
This is how it works.

The Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) receives data from the PCM over the High Speed Controller Area Network (HS-CAN) communication bus to control the air/fuel ratio, boost/vacuum (GT500), inlet air temperature, oil temperature and transmission oil temperature virtual gauges. The IPC monitors the data received from the PCM and commands the appropriate gauge indication.

I believe you had an electrical communication issue more than a actual issue with motor oil temp based on your statements. If it occurs again check for any DTC communication issues for your IPC. The DTC will start with U

Lightning FastElectrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Thank you, I do believe it was something electrical. I’ve been driving the car hard, and that has not happened again since then

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you, I do believe it was something electrical. I’ve been driving the car hard, and that has not happened again since then

Well....its good to hear that it has not occured again. If you need technical troubleshooting support or advice to resolve the issue dont hesistate to contact me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread