Oil smell high RPM decel

cbrown9064

Established Member
Imagine a hard pull in 3rd to redline over a bridge, let off throttle completely at top of bridge gradually slow down still in 3rd gear with throttle shut . When that happens I can smell burning oil slightly. Both valve covers are routed to a catch can. PCV inlet is signal for BOV. Tailpipes not oily.

if it was excessive blow by, you think it would smoke and smell under boost/acceleration. But I get this smell under decel.

engine clean, no leaks or drips. Smells like it is being burned internally but don't know. Discharge tube is clean and no oil in their either.

thoughts?

chao5.0

Established Member
maybe over pressuring the crank case? check the catch can and see how much oil is in there and check your oil level. you may not have any leaks but you could be forcing excessive oil into the catch can.

cbrown9064

Established Member
maybe over pressuring the crank case? check the catch can and see how much oil is in there and check your oil level. you may not have any leaks but you could be forcing excessive oil into the catch can.

Yeah...I thought that too, only stuff in catch can is yellowish-clear fluid that smells like oil. I drain a cup or so out every ~300 miles. Maybe it is overpressurized crank case that gets past rings into combustion chamber? I suppose if this set up was a road race car, then a vacuum pump might be needed?

chao5.0

Established Member
Yeah...I thought that too, only stuff in catch can is yellowish-clear fluid that smells like oil. I drain a cup or so out every ~300 miles. Maybe it is overpressurized crank case that gets past rings into combustion chamber? I suppose if this set up was a road race car, then a vacuum pump might be needed?

its possible, I have a friend who's supra use to do something similar but it was caused from the amount of boost he ran and the fact that the cam cover was vented to catch can near the fire wall. when we started smelling a strong oil smell during some tuning pulls one day we were concerned and on the way home on one last pull he blew out the front seal. basically he over pressured the crank case and the catch can was almost full. so for you I would keep an eye on the catch can and if its empty or near empty I wouldn't get to concerned just yet, but like stated earlier it could be worn guides if the motor has some miles on it.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Motor has 86k on it, could definitely be worn guides.

After watching a couple youtube videos, it looks easiest to just pull the heads and freshen things up. Looks like this May have to wait until I put forged rods and pistons in...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread