Oil separators and supercharger lubrication

1stShelby

Established Member
Guys,
Just installed the JLT oil separators on my '13 and I just had a thought: Any chance Ford expected the oil from the EGR valves to lubricate the supercharger lobes? When we talk about these things spinning upwards of 18K RPM did Ford really want to keep those lobes dry? With the introduction of EGR gases directly into the supercharger and the air tube in front of the TB, these separators seem like a no-brainer unless you wanted that oil in the induction system. This being my first experience with a supercharger just trying to understand the thinking behind this design.

Will post pics of the installation and regular updates on the ammount of oil being collected.

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
I was wondering the same thing as I am considering the oil separator as well and definitely do not want to cause SC issues.

nascarcrazy

Established Member
IM not sure, i called shelby america and asked about that, they said dont worry about it. and also svt they said the same thing dont need the oil separators.:shrug:

1stShelby

Established Member
IM not sure, i called shelby america and asked about that, they said dont worry about it. and also svt they said the same thing dont need the oil separators.:shrug:

Well, that is what I would expect since they didn't put these things on. But if the aftermarket guys claims, that oil in the intake reduces octane which could kick in the anti-knock system and reduce horsepower, are true then must there be a reason Ford chose not to install these things?

BossAnaki

Established Member
Well, that is what I would expect since they didn't put these things on. But if the aftermarket guys claims, that oil in the intake reduces octane which could kick in the anti-knock system and reduce horsepower, are true then must there be a reason Ford chose not to install these things?

The oil will also create a sticky film on the surfaces of the intercooler under the blower that will reduce its efficiency in cooling the charged air. The rotors don't actually come in contact with one another on the Eaton blowers. Although the tolerances are tight. Also the air is not compressed between the rotors on the Eatons like it is on a twinscrew blower. The air is compressed after the blower in the lower manifold. The PCV is there for emissions and emissions only.

Last edited:

Cam

n/a
Established Member

Cost$$$$ An engineer is a hero if they can save a couple of cents on their components, adding the equivalent of a billet catch can would end your career, plus the danger of a customer not draining it outweighs the benefit for the non-enthusiast owner. The PCV system on these cars is one of the better ones, it actually does its job and prevents most PCV oil pullover, the catch can is just a "last chance" device to supplement the factory system.

Most owners won't notice the difference, but for the rest of us with detail OCD, they are a must! The aftermarket claim of octane reduction is accurate, engine oil in the combustion process reduces octane.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The oil will also create a sticky film on the surfaces of the intercooler under the blower that will reduce its efficiency in cooling the charged air. The rotors don't actually come in contact with one another on the Eaton blowers. Although the tolerances are tight. Also the air is not compressed between the rotors on the Eatons like it is on a twinscrew blower. The air is compressed after the blower in the lower manifold. The EGR is there for emissions and emissions only.

^^This.

Those catch cans should be called "snake oil" catch cans. As far as that little bit of oil reducing octane, that's a load of hooey. Oil is harder to burn than gas, thus it would actually increase the octane, not reduce it. Eighty nine octane detonates under compression quicker than 93 octane. That's why you can't/shouldn't run 89 in a forced induction or high compression engine. Race gas is even harder to detonate than 93 octane pump gas (obviously) and is why the timing can be advanced so far out while using it.

Cam

n/a
Established Member
^^This.

Those catch cans should be called "snake oil" catch cans. As far as that little bit of oil reducing octane, that's a load of hooey. Oil is harder to burn than gas, thus it would actually increase the octane, not reduce it. Eighty nine octane detonates under compression quicker than 93 octane. That's why you can't/shouldn't run 89 in a forced induction or high compression engine. Race gas is even harder to detonate than 93 octane pump gas (obviously) and is why the timing can be advanced so far out while using it.

I'm not sure where you got this information, but it is not accurate. There is no debate that oil mist reduces octane in a gasoline fueled spark-ignition engine. Oil may not ignite as easily as gasoline at atmospheric pressure and temperature, but that has little to do with what happens when you mix it with gasoline, compress it to high pressure and temperature, and then try to maintain normal combustion. It actually takes very little oil mist to create knock.

scampismith

Crazy George
Established Member
I'm not sure where you got this information, but it is not accurate. There is no debate that oil mist reduces octane in a gasoline fueled spark-ignition engine. Oil may not ignite as easily as gasoline at atmospheric pressure and temperature, but that has little to do with what happens when you mix it with gasoline, compress it to high pressure and temperature, and then try to maintain normal combustion. It actually takes very little oil mist to create knock.

Gone Galt you are 100% correct. This is one of the first mods we done to our Lightning's, and blocking off the EGR valve.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
There are some pictures on here of the massive amount of oil that can build up on the innercooler. Catch cans are very cheap in the long run so you don't have to worry about that build up. Bob's are available via Revan Racing at a great price.

brisk_tea

Established Member
I took my blower off at 500 miles to port and after seeing the condition of my intercooler fins with such little mileage, i immediately installed catch cans...

If you are unsure if you need one, take the hour to look for yourself. Or you can even just pull the intake off and look at your TB, and you'll be able to make up your mind.

Snoopy49

Established Member

This is from the 2012 Shelby 1000 brochure.
Are those oil separators I see?

2012Shelby1000OilSeparators.gif

Users who are viewing this thread