Oil Separator on both sides? Oil Separators at? You decide evidence is clear.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I borrowed this pic and information from a post that 91svtbird did a couple years ago.

"Ford designed a scupper and a special metered drain located at the bottom of the lower intake housing. It is connected back up to the SC inlet using a special molded hose. This is to allow any excess oil which has been drawn into the intake through the PCV system and not initially burned to accumulate at the bottom of the lower intake housing where it can be reintroduced and atomized in the intake airflow and then burned. "

That's actually a smart idea. Next question is, is there a risk of that atomized/burned oil fouling spark plugs prematurely? I also wonder if racing makes the accumulation worse. I imagine for someone like me, who doesn't drag race but does the occasional blast down the freeway, the oil accumulation and eventual atomization isn't a real concern. :shrug: That might be why some people report that the catch cans work and others report that they don't.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
should change the thread title to "the evidence is brown" :banana:

Van@RevanRacing

That's actually a smart idea. Next question is, is there a risk of that atomized/burned oil fouling spark plugs prematurely? I also wonder if racing makes the accumulation worse. I imagine for someone like me, who doesn't drag race but does the occasional blast down the freeway, the oil accumulation and eventual atomization isn't a real concern. :shrug: That might be why some people report that the catch cans work and others report that they don't.

Ford Motorcraft 5W-50 oil has a high evaporation rate. If you add in hard driving, racing and/or high RPM pulls etc. you increase crank case pressure and heat. This is primarily why I see oil on the drivers side because most of the time I'm looking at these issues working on my car or a customer car at a race track or race event. Some with built motors and some with stock motors. We see a lot of the same in built and stock.

There is definitely a potential of this possibly fouling plugs however that window could be very small IMO.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

There is definitely a potential of this possibly fouling plugs however that window could be very small IMO.

Good to know! I can definitely attest to oil coming through the driver's side. I have the 2.9 Whipple kit and the oil is eating away the rubber grommet on the vacuum line attached to the intake. I don't even know where to begin trying to find a replacement one of those. Might clean it up and affix the nipple with some black silicone.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Van, great thread. I believe that anyone who has done a blower swap has seen at least traces of oil in the blower inlet and on the intercooler. With the stock Eaton, I had about half as much oil in those same locations, but it was clear that I needed to do something to limit the amount of oil being circulated through the intake and blower. I chose to install JLT oil separators on both sides. The original internal screen design did not capture nearly as much oil as the newly designed filters collect. That being said, I have always collected oil from the passenger side, but never from the driver's side. I have had them installed on my car along with my Whipple running 18psi of boost for 9,000 miles, and the driver's side is bone dry, not even a hint of oil mist, and nothing going into the intake tube. My car has 31,500 miles, and I have always run MC 5W-50. The pictures below are after one year and 3,955 miles of hard street driving and 12 passes down the strip. My car is a driver, no garage queen, and I do not baby it... the tach reaches redline every time I drive it. There is no doubt that the JLT designed oil separators work. If anyone is collecting oil from the driver's side with JLT or Bob's, I would like to see it. Based on my personal results and the feedback provided by forum members, I definitely recommend installing an oil separator on the passenger side, and then, if/when needed, on the driver's side.

JLT Oil Separators.jpg

Passenger side after 3,955 miles, about 1/4 full:

Passenger side.jpg

Driver's side after 9,000 miles, bone dry:

Driver side.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread