Oil Separator and Heat Exchanger…Thoughts?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I would ask, how many on here have done the Texas Mile with the C&R fan H/E?? Van (Revan Racing) seems to have no problem running 230+ mph with the C&R fanned H/E on the Texas Mile........

Ask for their data on similar tests from these owner replies......

If they can not provide data for the same tests, ignore their forum replies.....

On the Street, quick recovery is King. Fans provide Quick Recovery when you are sitting (no air flow) at the next Red light...........Fans are spinning, air is moving......Cooling is happening. It is all about air flow......and there ain't no flowing, when the car is stopped..........except with fans.......

............................and then the question, as I have asked may, may times with no replies......Why does it require a Triple Pass on some H/E's when the same temp. results on other H/E's can be achieved with a double pass????..............Just asking???

R
I agree @Robert M . Im a huge fan of shelby competition H/E. Why would shelby use this same H/E on 2013/14 Shelby 1000 which is rate at 1100rwhp if it didnt work efficiently. Im assuming by proven hours of R & D time.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
At low speed/idle on the street fans can cool a little bit more. At high speed fans can actually hinder air flow.

As I mentioned, Van (Revan Racing) has not mentioned or experienced fan hinderance as you have mentioned on the Texas Mile ate 230 MPH, do you have data that differs?

Van (Revan Racing) says the Shelby/C&R (with fans) H/E is the most efficient H/E he has tested, do you have different test results?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I agree @Robert M . Im a huge fan of shelby competition H/E. Why would shelby use this same H/E on 2013/14 Shelby 1000 which is rate at 1100rwhp if it didnt work efficiently. Im assuming by proven hours of R & D time.

................and I am just a Street Guy, but I certainly do not want to be led astray by internet BS.........I want to hear from guys that have REALLY tested this stuff, not internet forum BS by owners who have "read some info," that is not first hand "Real World testing..........Van at Revan Racing has done "Real Testing"...........and not just internet opinions form forum discussions.......

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
................and I am just a Street Guy, but I certainly do not want to be led astray by internet BS.........I want to hear from guys that have REALLY tested this stuff, not internet forum BS by owners who have "read some info," that is not first hand "Real World testing..........Van at Revan Racing has done "Real Testing"...........and not just internet opinions form forum discussions.....

I have never know of Shelby (with their deep pockets) to test something that sucks and then bring it to market with the Shelby stamp on it. They have a much larger test facility in Las Vegas than most of the smaller aftermarket vendors and they stand behind their tests/stuff. The junk (lesser performance stuff) does not even get considered for sale through SPP..........but it tickles the ears of the unknowing........

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
................and I am just a Street Guy, but I certainly do not want to be led astray by internet BS.........I want to hear from guys that have REALLY tested this stuff, not internet forum BS by owners who have "read some info," that is not first hand "Real World testing..........Van at Revan Racing has done "Real Testing"...........and not just internet opinions form forum discussions.......

R
Yea, I understand what your saying. Im just speaking from personally having one installed in my 2013 SS. I can vouche that its a quality H/E! I actually just bought another shelby Competition H/E as a spare cause I like them that much, just in case my current H/E ever gets damaged.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yea, I understand what your saying. Im just speaking from personally having one installed in my 2013 SS. I can vouche that its a quality H/E! I actually just bought another shelby Competition H/E as a spare cause I like them that much, just in case my current H/E ever gets damaged.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, and my thought is,........Shelby and their test facility has been around longer that some/many of these aftermarket vendors have been alive. They (Shelby) test the products they sell and then bring them to market, sometimes tweaked to their specifications. There are very few aftermarket vendors that were even alive as long as Shelby has been testing Shelby products.....

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

.................and on a oem 2013 (or 2014) wide open lower opening with no H/E protection from stone damage, you better have a spare.........That was a poor Ford design.......no protection at the H/E with a completely open grill?????? WTF????.......yea it may look cool, but it is a $2500 repair from Ford..............

R

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I understand what you are saying, and my thought is,........Shelby and their test facility has been around longer that some/many of these aftermarket vendors have been alive. They (Shelby) test the products they sell and then bring them to market, sometimes tweaked to their specifications. There are very few aftermarket vendors that were even alive as long as Shelby has been testing Shelby products.....

R
I agree with you 100%........(y). If Im correct....I believe revan helped shelby along with C/R to develope the Competition H/E for shelby.
.................and on a oem 2013 (or 2014) wide open lower opening with no H/E protection from stone damage, you better have a spare.........That was a poor Ford design.......no protection at the H/E with a completely open grill?????? WTF????.......yea it may look cool, but it is a $2500 repair from Ford..............

R
LOL.....that's why I have a spare. Im almost waiting for a damn rock to take out my H/E. Ford could of did a better job on H/E protection for sure.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I agree with you 100%........(y). If Im correct....I believe revan helped shelby along with C/R to develope the Competition H/E for shelby.

LOL.....that's why I have a spare. Im almost waiting for a damn rock to take out my H/E. Ford could of did a better job on H/E protection for sure.

It is sad.................and then when I see 2011/12 owners wanting to put 2013/14 upper and lower grills in their car???? I am asking.........Are You Stupid????

Looks are Cool, but Repairs are Expensive..........Do you homework...........

The 2013/14 grill adds/protectors are a must for those cars, if you do not have an endless budget of repairs to the H/E.............You never know when the next stone from the vehicle in front of you is going to take out your H/E...........Thanks SVE.....Special Vehicle Engineers.........

R

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
It is sad.................and then when I see 2011/12 owners wanting to put 2013/14 upper and lower grills in their car???? I am asking.........Are You Stupid????

Looks are Cool, but Repairs are Expensive..........Do you homework...........

The 2013/14 grill adds/protectors are a must for those cars, if you do not have an endless budget of repairs to the H/E.............You never know when the next stone from the vehicle in front of you is going to take out your H/E...........Thanks SVE.....Special Vehicle Engineers.........

R
Have a good night @Robert M. Nice chatting with ya on a much debated H/E recommendation. Im sure others will chime in and voice there opinions.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Have a good night @Robert M. Nice chatting with ya on a much debated H/E recommendation. Im sure others will chime in and voice there opinions.

........................but we all need facts, not opinions...........The internet is full opinions.......Who has thoroughly vetted their GT500 to 230mph and can refute Van's (Revan Racing) data with H/E fans???? He seems to think they are fine?

If someone has done extensive H/E testing with the oem 3/4" S/C cooling system plumbing still in place, please provide "other" data.....opinions are worthless without supporting data........

R

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

R
My 14 was delivered on Thursday, these grilles went in 2 days later.....cheap insurance..

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
My 14 was delivered on Thursday, these grilles went in 2 days later.....cheap insurance..

I agree...................and they look GREAT!!!

There should have been some sort of protection there from Ford........What were they thinking?!?!?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Van from Revan Racing has commented on my picture below several times over the years when this H/E discussion comes up. He mentions how if you look closely at the lower H/E, C&R Competition with NASCAR core, you can see through it in one area and the fan is visible behind. He said that is a sign of an efficient core and it is core efficiency that allows for a lesser number of coolant passes when the core is installed in a small area with minimal face surface in the air flow.

................and then the back side of the C&R Extreme and Competition......

And one of my favorite pictures to add to these discussions..........When millions of dollars are on the line, deep pockets NASCAR teams use what is most efficient after extensive R&D testing..........

A little closer look.........

As I mentioned previously, I like when others spend the Big Dollars to figure out what works best, then I put my little dollars in that direction.

R

Davey1313

Established Member
Awesome discussion guys.

How hard is the install for the Competition? Is there any cutting or is majority plug and play? I just don’t want to hack up my KR, and want the ability to bring it back to stock if ever required.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Awesome discussion guys.

How hard is the install for the Competition? Is there any cutting or is majority plug and play? I just don’t want to hack up my KR, and want the ability to bring it back to stock if ever required.

From what I have read, it bolts into place without mods to the car and the H/E pump mounts to the top as it does with the oem. The fan connection would have be added since there were no oem fans. the Competition is taller so a portion of it is behind the bumper impact bar, but from what I have read with owner installs, the H/E is not against the bumper bar so there is still air flow in the H/E core area behind the bumper bar.

If you look at my first picture above, there are mounting tabs on the sides of both H/E's, the tabs on the Competition are in the same location as the smaller Extreme and the core area above those mounting tabs on the Competition is the larger area of the core.

R

Davey1313

Established Member
From what I have read, it bolts into place without mods to the car and the H/E pump mounts to the top as it does with the oem. The fan connection would have be added since there were no oem fans. the Competition is taller so a portion of it is behind the bumper impact bar, but from what I have read with owner installs, the H/E is not against the bumper bar so there is still air flow in the H/E core area behind the bumper bar.

If you look at my first picture above, there are mounting tabs on the sides of both H/E's, the tabs on the Competition are in the same location as the smaller Extreme and the core area above those mounting tabs on the Competition is the larger area of the core.

R
Got it. Well both the Competition and Extreme are out of stock on the Shelby site. Any other sites? Anything Canadian since I’m in Toronto? Lol

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I agree...................and they look GREAT!!!

There should have been some sort of protection there from Ford........What were they thinking?!?!?

R
If I remember correctly when the 13's first came out, Ford engineers said a grille would have prevented the 200 mph goal..

Users who are viewing this thread