Oil restrictor for Precision 67's?

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
I spoke to Precision yesterday via email regarding restrictors for low-mount set ups. There response was, "It is very seldom that a restrictor is recommended for any vehicle. If a participant was recommended a restrictor by a Precision associate it would have only been from the Service Manager after review of the particular application. With this being said, I have seen multiple and plenty of twin turbo base modular applications that are successful without the help of a restrictor."

I'm running twin 67's billet wheel JB turbos and after finally getting under the car to figure out the problem with the oiling system I found that A) the pumps had failed (noticed this early on as I didn't hear them click on with the key so I stopped driving), B) there were way too many kinks in the oil lines, and C) no restrictors.

I'm pretty sure the seals are gone, but there is no play in any of the shafts so I should be good with just new seals. My set up is going to run a drip box and exa pump and I would think that restrictors would also help, but wanted to get it first hand from guys running low mount set ups, specifically Precision JB turbos. Thoughts? Suggestions?

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
had this problem myself. took the whole assembly apart and took it to a turbo rebuilder in town. he said he would love to charge me to rebuild my turbos but wasnt needed. there arent any seals like a gaskets but more like a piston ring with a gap that will expand a bit when hot. if your impeller is not hitting your housing the bearing is ok. my precisions have a small hole at the inlet and restricting it will only cause problems you would rather have to much oil or you will burn up the bearing. your problem is most likely with the scavenger pump/ drain system. this sucks but you have to take it apart and clean all the piping out and it will still smoke for a while good luck.

CHIZ

Established Member
had this problem myself. took the whole assembly apart and took it to a turbo rebuilder in town. he said he would love to charge me to rebuild my turbos but wasnt needed. there arent any seals like a gaskets but more like a piston ring with a gap that will expand a bit when hot. if your impeller is not hitting your housing the bearing is ok. my precisions have a small hole at the inlet and restricting it will only cause problems you would rather have to much oil or you will burn up the bearing. your problem is most likely with the scavenger pump/ drain system. this sucks but you have to take it apart and clean all the piping out and it will still smoke for a while good luck.

When I pulled the pipe from the passanger side turbo that goes to the intercooler, there was atleast 1/4 a quart of oil and the passanger side downpipe was the only one smoking. Was yours this bad? Worse? Thanks for the response.

mineral154

whatever
Established Member
Yes it is a bloody mess get the oil drain situation figured out clean it all up drive it to burn the rest off and good luck

CHIZ

Established Member
Yes it is a bloody mess get the oil drain situation figured out clean it all up drive it to burn the rest off and good luck

Good deal. Hopefully have the full exhaust done next week and get some videos posted.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
This sounds like a 100% drain back issue only. Like mentioned, contrary to popular belief, the seals can't just "blow out". Call and talk to the service dep't at Precision to get clarification. If the bearings are good, the seals are good. If there's no shaft play, chances are everything is ok--especially with BB turbos.

I had new Precision 6266 journal bearing turbos on my car this year and while being tuned, the car started smoking. Pulled the filters and tons of shaft play. The seals were obviously compromised in this situation. Sent them to Precision and they said it looks like an oil starvation issue. We did notice some teflon tape debris in the feed line screen but it wasns't totally clogged. I've had two previous sets of journal bearing turbos on this set-up with no issues. I then upgraded to BB turbos because I figure the less oil required, the better. If you look into the oil inlet port of your turbo, you'll see about a 30 thousandths built-in restrictor. Precision has it regulated to what it needs. I wouldn't mess with it. Just get your drain issue plumbed and figured out and you'll be good!

CHIZ

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. We should have everything bolted back up by the end of the week with a stinger exhaust.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
well i was told with my SINGLE turbo setup that i needed to further restrict my oil feed to the turbo because i have a high volume oil pump. i was having 9.5 oz of oil run through the turbo at idle for 30 seconds. that is the maximum it should have at wot.

precision recommened that i use a nitrous jet to further restrict the oil going into my turbo.

i have the cea 7675 billet wheel dual ball bearing turbo.

Users who are viewing this thread