oil pump question

mustangsvt281

Established Member
I am currently building a separate motor to put in my cobra. nothing really crazy im using a 98 teksid block, forged internals(stock 98 crank) and 01 cobra heads with comp camsand an 03 eaton supercharger. Well down the road i will put a whipple or kennebell on top but my question is should i go with a meiling high volume pump or will that be overkill with a stock oil pan? i dont want to suck the pan dry at higher rpms. I know that a close to stock oil pump will be good enough but what about when i go KB or whipple? I believe im over thinking the situation at hand too much and should just go with a stock oil pump but wanted to hear about what others have done in the past.

thanks

98fourvalve

Established Member
I am currently building a separate motor to put in my cobra. nothing really crazy im using a 98 teksid block, forged internals(stock 98 crank) and 01 cobra heads with comp camsand an 03 eaton supercharger. Well down the road i will put a whipple or kennebell on top but my question is should i go with a meiling high volume pump or will that be overkill with a stock oil pan? i dont want to suck the pan dry at higher rpms. I know that a close to stock oil pump will be good enough but what about when i go KB or whipple? I believe im over thinking the situation at hand too much and should just go with a stock oil pump but wanted to hear about what others have done in the past.

thanks

The meiling will not really flow any more than the cobra pump you have. As the Cobra pumps are high output. The reason to upgrade to a better HO pump is to get quality gears inside the pump. The factory gears have failed due to bad harmonics or whatever and ruin an engine. I highly suggest getting a Triangle Speed Shop billet cobra pump. (They are a bit more than a meiling but 100% worth it if you value your engine) Top notch quality. I did the research for my forged boss block and spent the extra money on one. I considered the Meiling but it has shown quality issues. Hit or miss. I just didn't want to risk it in my engine.

Whatever you do. Don't go with a MMR cryo treated pump. The reason I bring it up is if you research you will probably stumble upon them and they seem like a good piece. But they are not.

mustangsvt281

Established Member
The meiling will not really flow any more than the cobra pump you have. As the Cobra pumps are high output. The reason to upgrade to a better HO pump is to get quality gears inside the pump. The factory gears have failed due to bad harmonics or whatever and ruin an engine. I highly suggest getting a Triangle Speed Shop billet cobra pump. (They are a bit more than a meiling but 100% worth it if you value your engine) Top notch quality. I did the research for my forged boss block and spent the extra money on one. I considered the Meiling but it has shown quality issues. Hit or miss. I just didn't want to risk it in my engine.

Whatever you do. Don't go with a MMR cryo treated pump. The reason I bring it up is if you research you will probably stumble upon them and they seem like a good piece. But they are not.

yea i havent heard anything really good about the mmr pumps. what about the meiling pump with the better gears, think that would be decent? i just dont want to spend all this money and have my oil pump take a dump on me. i have heard good things about the meiling pumps, i might just go with one that is $150 bucks or so with the pickup tube.

98fourvalve

Established Member
yea i havent heard anything really good about the mmr pumps. what about the meiling pump with the better gears, think that would be decent? i just dont want to spend all this money and have my oil pump take a dump on me. i have heard good things about the meiling pumps, i might just go with one that is $150 bucks or so with the pickup tube.

For $150 there is no way it will have billet gears. Billet gears is what you want. Meiling does make one with billet gears for IIRC around 300. For 150 for a meiling stock replacement I'd get the Ford HO pump brand new that you already have for cheaper. If not going billet geared then don't waste your time buying anything other than a ford cobra replacement.

And nightmare, do a search on MMR oil pump failures. The cryo treated ones are bad. Did you opt for that one or their actual billet geared pump? Billet gear should be fine. Cryo treated.... not so much.

97 Nightmare

Established Member
I searched and found nothing. Mine is a cryo treated unit. I guess time will tell. New motor is less than 500 miles in now and already has a noise. It's back at the builder now to see what is wrong. Hopefully not due to oil starvation.

Cory

98fourvalve

Established Member
Do a google search. Dont limit yourself to svtp for info. Not trying to scare you at all. But on a side note. I hope you find the cause of the noise. I doubt the failure stems from the pump. The pump generally work until they break completely. If its broken then you wouldve known before now. So safe to say that isnt your problem.

Users who are viewing this thread