Oil pump gears

BUCKET

Established Member
Has any one done or know of a oil pump failure on a boss motor?

I see its good insurance, needed do to rpm, etc
Haven't come across to many threads about them. Are any of you FI boss guys seeing a problem with a blower and oil pump issues from crank pulley stress?

Let me know your thoughts.

1BADPSD

Established Member
Has any one done or know of a oil pump failure on a boss motor?

I see its good insurance, needed do to rpm, etc
Haven't come across to many threads about them. Are any of you FI boss guys seeing a problem with a blower and oil pump issues from crank pulley stress?

Let me know your thoughts.

X2 I was wondering if the boss came with a better gear for its rpm capabilities and for the road course...

I haven't had any issues with my blower. Although its self contained and doesn't rely on the oil pump. It still does put a load on the crank even with a 3.60" pulley.

yknot

Established Member
Check out any technical write-up on the Cyote or Road runner engine and you will see that this time Ford engineers decided to go with a Billet oil pump for the engines. This is one reason the replacement oil pump now cost 469.00 and not the 79.00 it use to cost. You have nothing to worry about, the new engine has a great oil pump. The old pump was fine for most applications. The problems came when people pushed the engine to very high loads or RPM's, and or intalled a belt driven supercharger. The additional side load placed on the crankshaft by the belt driven charger, would cause the crankshaft to flex and that would make the Press Metal gears in the oil pump to brake.

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Check out any technical write-up on the Cyote or Road runner engine and you will see that this time Ford engineers decided to go with a Billet oil pump for the engines. This is one reason the replacement oil pump now cost 469.00 and not the 79.00 it use to cost. You have nothing to worry about, the new engine has a great oil pump. The old pump was fine for most applications. The problems came when people pushed the engine to very high loads or RPM's, and or intalled a belt driven supercharger. The additional side load placed on the crankshaft by the belt driven charger, would cause the crankshaft to flex and that would make the Press Metal gears in the oil pump to brake.

not true...there have been numerous oil pump failures on the coyote motor due to engine harmonics at high rpm on a supercharged motor. You either need to do a replacement crank damper ie: ATI super damper (my solution) and or FRPP oil pump gears. The factory gears will shatter and the FRPP gears are softer allowing more vibration resistance and harmonic balance than the harder tensile factory gears.

AZBOSS

Established Member
Tiger Racing's 302S had an oil pump failure last year on the World Challenge circuit. This is the only one I've heard of on a B302 but it can happen.

BUCKET

Established Member
I am turbo charged but wondered if failures where related to added stress of crank pulley and blower. Still wondering what is the story, do we really have upgraded pump setups?

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Speculation (Mike @ L&M) is that bumping the rev limiter causes harmonics that shock the gears and causes them to crack.

Bingo!!! and or the added stress of a blower. One would be crazy not to run a ATI crank damper on any supercharged coyote/roadrunner and do an oil pump gear upgrade

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Bingo!!! and or the added stress of a blower. One would be crazy not to run a ATI crank damper on any supercharged coyote/roadrunner and do an oil pump gear upgrade

This why Racerats Kenne Bell Boss-a-matic has a custom ATI balancer and only one internal engine mod...billet oil pump gears!:thumbsup:

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
I hadn't heard of any (outside the same tiger car and possibly a very early multimatic car), but I'll admit to putting a set of billet ones in my build. Sometimes peace of mind is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread