Oil pump gear install. Who did it themselves?

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I recently bought tss oil pump gears and mmr lower crank sprocket. Im going to be doing the install myself at home and im a little nervous about it. I have read blazers write up and it doesnt look that bad, but i still worry about getting the timing off. Who all has done it themselves? Any tips tricks? Im pretty mechanically incline so i feel like this shouldnt be to hard. Am i over thinking it?

hitmix300

Established Member
It's easy dude the timing isn't hard at all. Just dig into it and bang it out. It's really difficult to screw up the timing haha. The marks are very clear and easy to follow. Just triple check your colored links on the timing chain are truly lined up to the marks. Some times they like to jump as you make room for primary tensioner.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
One thing that confused me on blazers write up is after you remove the passenger side chain with the crank at 12, you have to rotate the crank and driver side cams to the 9 o clock position correct? Then when you reinstall you go from 9 o clock to 12 o clock? Also do you mark the chain and sprocket when its at the 12 or 9 o clock position?

evil281

Established Member
It was not too bad. I just did mine this last weekend with my vmp kit. The worst part was the 2 bolts on the oil pickup tube. You need someone with small hands here and I would recommend stuffing a rag in the pan while you install the bolts incase they get dropped and you don't want them to fall to the back of the oil pan. Everything else on the write was pretty straight forward.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Well i have to drop my kmember and oil pan so pickup tube shouldnt be a issue. Where did everyone buy the new gaskets at? I need to order all of them soon but wasnt sure where the cheapest place was.

evil281

Established Member
Well i have to drop my kmember and oil pan so pickup tube shouldnt be a issue. Where did everyone buy the new gaskets at? I need to order all of them soon but wasnt sure where the cheapest place was.

Paste the part numbers in eBay. There was a ford dealer store who sold all the parts needed. They were very cheap and all in original ford packaging.

Big Q

Established Member
I did mine as well, not difficult just time consuming getting to the point of the opg's, I followed Blazers write up and it worked well.

Cyclerick

Established Member
I made an aluminium fork like piece to hold the oil pickup tube bolts in place while I used my finger to start the bolt threading.
I also marked the chain links and the sprocket so that the chains went back on in the exact location.

evil281

Established Member
But what I'm not sure of is do you have to rotate the crank and driver side cams to get the chain off?

Yes. When the crank notch is at 12 o'clock you can remove one chain and then rotate to 9 o'clock for the second one. I used the MMR crank tool.

Here is one of the pictures from my install. You can see its at the 9 oclock here.

DSC_0032.jpg

Last edited:

GrabUblue

Established Member
I want to do mine also but its a bit intimidating. What's the going rate for a shop to install? Good luck op.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Tss told me 800 bucks. Plus 800 for a tune..... I'll do the opg myself lol. It's about a 8 hour install so depends on the price per hour at the shop. But on average I'm gonna say 6-800.

evil281

Established Member
I want to do mine also but its a bit intimidating. What's the going rate for a shop to install? Good luck op.

I would imagine 6-8 hours labor. So maybe $600-$800 just in labor alone? I was definitely intimidated as well but Blazers write up really did walk me through most of it. As long as you have a decent understanding of how each part works you will be fine. Now if you don't know the purpose of each part you are removing I would have a pro do it. It just all depends on your mechanical level.

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
I did it and also installed Boss valve springs, FRPP Exhaust cams, Boss tentioners and CJ Intake. I followed Blazers guide , Comp Cams install instructions and got a one month Helm subscription. I will actually be doing it again this weekend on a friends 5.0 . With the right tools and a good mechanical understanding it is doable. The one tool you must have is the Freedom Racing Coyote spring compressor for the valve springs.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Any questions on the write just shoot me a message and I can walk anyone through it. Also I have a freedom racing valve spring tool I can rent out to people if they want to do valve springs while in there.

Cyclerick

Established Member
I'd never done anything this complicated before so I took my time and labelled the parts and put the bolts in separate baggies and most importantly marked the timing chains and sprockets. Done this way it's almost impossible to make a mistake.

NxCoupe

Established Member
I did mine, tss gears and mmr sprocket, when I built the engine fortunately. Unfortunately, i didn't swap valvesprings when I was putting it together so now I am putting springs and valve seals in tonight and finishing tomorrow. I plan to take pics as i go. I was lucky enough to have a buddy that is a Ford tech and he printed out the service manual for cams and timing chain service. Came in handy. I also read blazers write up, thanks for doing such a detailed job! It helped. Wish me luck, as I'm not looking forward to the seals and spring replacement, although the tool looks like it should make it a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread