Oil Pump Gear + Cams?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
My '13 pulled 716hp & 680tq at 16.5psi on a Dynonometer with Lund Race Tune. Best we figure as guys have gone from that dynonometer to a Mustang dyno is 7% diff. so for reference that might be approx. 670rwhp. I'm considering the OPG as a preventive measure. I don't track the car but every once in a while ...if I'm runnin hard I'm power shifting 2-3-4th around 6500rpm so ....even if just for the moment ..the revs on the data log are up there.

Of course...when I asked my shop they advised :
" Hey...install of the OPG labor would be FREE as we pull off your timing chain ..if you also upgraded the cams." Like I needed that :)->)?
Of course...cams would be a power gain but I feel she pulls hard enough with the 4.10's + don't want to stress the rods any either.

Have any guys upgraded the OPG then wondered why you did NOT do the cams while the motor was opened up ?

RBB

Established Member
If you’re going to open it up why not do everything now if cams are something you’ll be considering later on? Might as well just do the cams, OPGs, timing sprockets, chains and crank sprocket now and pay the labor for the tear down once.

Of course, with cams you will be pushing the limits of the rods as well. Keep that in mind....it’s always a slippery slope.

Last edited:

merkyworks

Established Member
This reminds me of an old childhood book. If you give a Shelby an oil pump gear then they will want a...........

In all seriousness what RBB said is pretty much spot on, such a slippery slope. Why spend all that money upgrading OPG, chains ect and adding cams to a stock motor when it would likely put you at or push you over the "safe" power range. Pretty much it's do a full rebuild or don't mess with it, unless your doing all the labor yourself and your only out the cost of parts.

If your just dieing to do cams an argument could be made that swapping cams and going to a 2.5" pulley would be less stress on the motor due to the reduction in cylinder pressure.

RBB

Established Member
This reminds me of an old childhood book. If you give a Shelby an oil pump gear then they will want a...........

In all seriousness what RBB said is pretty much spot on, such a slippery slope. Why spend all that money upgrading OPG, chains ect and adding cams to a stock motor when it would likely put you at or push you over the "safe" power range. Pretty much it's do a full rebuild or don't mess with it, unless your doing all the labor yourself and your only out the cost of parts.

If your just dieing to do cams an argument could be made that swapping cams and going to a 2.5" pulley would be less stress on the motor due to the reduction in cylinder pressure.
Good post. Last thing I’ll say is regardless of what you’re using the car for, camming it is such a great mod. These are pretty badass cars to begin with, but the cam puts it over the top and just makes it infinitely cooler. I can’t wipe the shit eating grin off my face every time I fire the car up now.

So if you’re thinking about it and you’re worried about the rods, Merky had a good idea. Pulley it back down to make a little less power and do the cams. You will not regret it.

Last edited:

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I would do cams while it's apart.. definitely. Maybe pull a little timing out around peak torque if you want to keep some stress off the Rods. Good Luck ! DO the CAMS!! :D

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
Thanks fellas.....you the limit of the rods is a concern. I'll have to ask the shop about the options mentioned here. The OPG was a consideration to prevent engine damage ...I wasn't considering the cams until he brought it up.

Users who are viewing this thread