bigja01cobra

Established Member
The Car
2001 Mustang Cobra
5.1L BluePrinted All Forged 12:1 compression
Port Polish heads
Stage II camshafts

The Issue
The other day I was driving home from work. Everything running great get on the off ramp and then hit a stop light. Noticed a slight knocking coming from motor....Look down and oil pressure gauge is on zero. Immediately I shut the car off get out push to the side of the road.

About 30 mins later my buddy pulls up with truck and trailer. I fire the car up to pull it onto the trailer and the motor has oil pressure and isnt making any noise. Temp gauge shows just below normal So I am like wth.

I let it run for about 10 mins (temp reachs normal in about 4 mins) still great oil pressure no noise. Put it in gear and move it onto trailer takes couple mins to line it up properly and jack the trailer up high enough so it doesnt drag.

In the process the motor starts making noise again...look down and oil pressure zero again.

Started it again today...fired right up Full oil pressure no noise. Let it idle for about 15mins..still great oil pressure...reved(3500rpm) it up still good oil pressure.

Anyway...I dont think it is bearings since the car will actually build oil pressure and hold it for a while once operating temp is reached.

Could it be the oil pump is going out...or missing some teeth or something.

Got allot of money in this motor and hope I didnt do much damage.

I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Jason

Last edited:

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Just below Full line...Oil mileage ~2500 Full synthetic Mobil 1 Mobil one Filter..

Will be draining oil in next couple days and putting it threw strainer to check for metal particulates.

Last edited:

99cobra09

"Stock Car"
Established Member
On similar occasions not on a cobra specifically i have had cars at my shop loose oil pressure, reason is the seals inside were worn out or the gear is worn. I would recommend not to run the car at all and hope you bearings aren't shot. Replace your pump.

BTW; if you need one i got one with 3k miles out of an 03 cobra. Let me know if you need it ill pretty much let it go for free.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Any oil in the coolant?

Plumb a mechanical oil pressure gauge into an oil gallery plug, start the engine and see if the reading replicates the factory cluster gauge readings (if it doesn't and it maintains pressure while the factory gauge drops out your in luck and have a bad gauge). If it does you could strip the timing chain cover off and remove the oil pump for inspection (make sure the pressure relief valve is installed correctly and in good working order). It’s a bit of work but easier then pulling the motor. Chances are if the gauge was correct you should pull the motor and break it down. As you know loosing oil pressure even for a few seconds will damage the bearings. I have never regretted tearing down a motor when I suspect something has gone wrong. That could save even more headaches down the road.

I hope it's something stupid and easy to fix.

Last edited:

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the tips SlowSVT...that is what I will do.

But first need to rebuild this stupid Chevy motor :).

I appreciate all the help and tips. I will post to let you know what I have determined.

Thanks
Jason

SlowSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the tips SlowSVT...that is what I will do.

But first need to rebuild this stupid Chevy motor :).

I appreciate all the help and tips. I will post to let you know what I have determined.

Thanks
Jason

Rebuild a "Chevy motor" :??:

.........that IS stupid!

:fart:

Users who are viewing this thread