oil pressure

02red

Established Member
built the motor about two months ago... the truck got tuned but its dropping the oil pressure when the truck is sitting down for example at a red light that its on drive but no gas just brake and the oil pressure gauge drops to zero but the truck doesnt rattle or nothing .... anyone had this before :shrug:.. its not the oil pump because when i give it alittle gas it comes back up ???help pls.

uncooked

Established Member
Thats weird it goes right down to 0 ?

Have you ruled out a miss reading gauge?

What weight oil are you running ?

02red

Established Member
Thats weird it goes right down to 0 ?

Have you ruled out a miss reading gauge?

What weight oil are you running ?
... yes the guage dropps all the way down to zero... im going with 5-20 motorcraft the engine has less then 2k on it... i even changed out the oil sender sensory also...but no still same issue

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I would slightly loosen the oil sender fitting while the engine is running. (should be between the oil filter and the low rad hose connector) Just crack it enough to let air out and when you see it seeping oil tighten it back up.
That will rule out air.. See what that does.

Next.. "built motors" usually will have more clearance in the bearings. Step that oil up to a 10w-30 and see what happens.

Rich

Last edited:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
how are you guys stock oil pressure gauge moving? mine does not move.

cuz its just a switch not an actually pressure sensor like GM uses. if it see's pressure it reads that it has pressure if it doesnt see pressure it says no pressure.

i had an autometer in mine and at warm idle i would have between 25-30 and wot would see 80-100 IIRC

id suggest a new sender or putting an an aftermarket gauge like an autometer. if its coming up like this also id pull the pan and make sure everythings ok with the pump

uncooked

Established Member
cuz its just a switch not an actually pressure sensor like GM uses. if it see's pressure it reads that it has pressure if it doesnt see pressure it says no pressure.

i had an autometer in mine and at warm idle i would have between 25-30 and wot would see 80-100 IIRC

id suggest a new sender or putting an an aftermarket gauge like an autometer. if its coming up like this also id pull the pan and make sure everythings ok with the pump

Same here 25 - 30 at idle (full temp) and around 80 - 90 or so when Im on it

I would recommend a new autometer or equivalent gauge, you want to keep a good eye on that new motor !

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Check the pick up for debris.
Been there, done that, with all of the same symptoms you are having.
The stock guage shows a reading for anything above 7psi.
When I'd come to a stop the factory guage would start bouncing off/on.
I put an Autometer on it and I was seeing 7psi at idle. Cruising I was at 25psi.
I dropped the pan [which required lifting the motor (which required removing the supercharger)] and found the pick up becoming clogged. (Sabotage)
Cleaned it out...all good.

02red

Established Member
Check the pick up for debris.
Been there, done that, with all of the same symptoms you are having.
The stock guage shows a reading for anything above 7psi.
When I'd come to a stop the factory guage would start bouncing off/on.
I put an Autometer on it and I was seeing 7psi at idle. Cruising I was at 25psi.
I dropped the pan [which required lifting the motor (which required removing the supercharger)] and found the pick up becoming clogged. (Sabotage)
Cleaned it out...all good.

do u know of any other way to clean it out with out pickup the motor ??

gamudslinger88

Established Member
Hope your not running a meling. I had oil pressure issues with my built motor with 0 miles on it. Builder took the pump out and put another one in and tadahh all fixed. Only thing is now im having to deal with meling about being reimbused $500 for the defective oil pump replacement and things arent looking good for me. What ever happend to the days when someone stood behind there products:fm:

Users who are viewing this thread