Oil Pressure issues

Drwalker02

2013 GT500 Addict
Established Member
My first oil change. I used Amsoil 5W-50 and the Motorcraft GT 350 oil filter. Since then my oil pressure at Idol is around 50 psi during acceleration up to 4000 RPM the pressure gets up to 100. Should I be concerned?

krt22

Established Member
Mine seems to hover around 100psi in city driving at those RPMs as well

Mikelucas-12

The high oil pressure is partly caused by the 5w50 I'm sure. Interested to see how a 10w30 or 10w40 would affect the oil pressure. I know readngvthrough the old gt500 threads a lot of those guys switched to those weights to reach a lower oil pressure.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My comment would be very careful playing with oils that vary from the OEM spec and even vary from Ford Oil. I remember when the 96 4.6 Cobra came out guys were running heavier oil thinking it would help protect the motors as was commonly done on the Windsor motors. Well, a number of motors were blown and Ford had the motors sent back to the factory. They discovered the oil was incorrect and motor warranty was voided.

Tom

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
The high oil pressure is partly caused by the 5w50 I'm sure. Interested to see how a 10w30 or 10w40 would affect the oil pressure. I know readngvthrough the old gt500 threads a lot of those guys switched to those weights to reach a lower oil pressure.
Bad idea for this car

nxhappy

Established Member
guys, viscosity relates tremendously to weather. The heat is going to change the oil properties. I highly doubt a 10w30 would kill the motor.

Mikelucas-12

Motorcraft 5w50 isn't 5w50 when you drain it out. I assure you. It will have sheared to a less viscous number I'd say at least a 40. Depending on numerous variables of course.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
How do you know
Well, the engineers that have tested the motor through hours of R&D and the guys at the ford performance racing school/track tour specify 5w50.

Do you have more engineering knowledge or specific experience with this motor to refute that?

Mikelucas-12

Well, the engineers that have tested the motor through hours of R&D and the guys at the ford performance racing school/track tour specify 5w50.

Do you have more engineering knowledge or specific experience with this motor to refute that?
Do you? That question goes both ways. I do know that the ebgineers are aware of motorcradts shear percentage. They know it isn't the same viscosity throughout the interval.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Do you? That question goes both ways. I do know that the ebgineers are aware of motorcradts shear percentage. They know it isn't the same viscosity throughout the interval.
I am not the one stating a different weight oil than recommended is safe for the motor. I do not have that knowledge, and therefore I also wouldn't risk my warranty, or motor, because someone said "it should be fine."

Until someone with extensive testing and engineering knowledge steps in with data specific to this motor I would find it ill advised to run any weight oil other than recommended.

Mikelucas-12

I am not the one stating a different weight oil than recommended is safe for the motor. I do not have that knowledge, and therefore I also wouldn't risk my warranty, or motor, because someone said "it should be fine."

Until someone with extensive testing and engineering knowledge steps in with data specific to this motor I would find it ill advised to run any weight oil other than recommended.
If Ford tested the oil in a gt350 using motorcraft 5w50 to find out if the proper viscosity was used, it wouldn't be 5w50. Also I didn't state that a different weight should be fine for this motor. I said I would be interested to know how a different weight would affect the oil pressure is all. And that tons of gt500 guys went a different weight for a lower oil pressure. Not sure what you're talking about.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I would be uncomfortable running anything different than recommended from the factory. I believe the variable valve timing uses the oil pressure as well.

Users who are viewing this thread