Oil pressure and AC problems

GoatSlayer

Banned
My car started acting weird yesterday with two problems. The first problem is a weird noise ( sounds like a bad idler) coming from the AC compressor area, but when you turn on the AC, the noise goes away. The other problem is oil pressure. At idle, the stock oil pressure gauge drops to the redzone (L), but when you tap on the gas or the car starts moving, the oil pressure goes to normal which is the middle of the stock gauge.
What do you guys think could be causing these problems and do you think they are related?

Thanks

oldmodman

Established Member
Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge or are you looking at the factory one in the dash.
The factory one is actually an "idiot gauge". It is connected to an on - off pressure switch. Above (not sure about the exact pressure) 10psi it reads normal and below that it reads in the red.
If you have an aftermarket gauge that actually reads the real pressure and you see it reading zero something is either wrong with your oil pump, or something is blocking the oil passage to the pressure sender. But if it suddenly jumps up to normal when you rev up the engine then I would be worried.

The squeek in the AC that goes away when you turn on the AC is a bad AC clutch. They can be replaced just by them selves but I would check the service manual before messing with it.

Last edited:

GoatSlayer

Banned
Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge or are you looking at the factory one in the dash.
The factory one is actually an "idiot gauge". It is connected to an on - off pressure switch. Above (not sure about the exact pressure) 10psi it reads normal and below that it reads in the red.
If you have an aftermarket gauge that actually reads the real pressure and you see it reading zero something is either wrong with your oil pump, or something is blocking the oil passage to the pressure sender. But if it suddenly jumps up to normal when you rev up the engine then I would be worried.

The squeek in the AC that goes away when you turn on the AC is a bad AC clutch. They can be replaced just by them selves but I would check the service manual before messing with it.

I was looking at the factory one in the dash.

Thanks

GoatSlayer

Banned
Also quick question, when the oil pump in the terminators go bad, do they gradually go bad before seizing (for example will work at times and not work at times) or once they go bad they stop working completely?

Users who are viewing this thread