Oil pooling under lower intake manidfold

Quagmire

Established Member
Hey guys at the end of last summer i noticed oil leaking under my bell housing, about 1500 miles after i put engine back together. I figured rear main, since i needed to address clutch this spring ill change it all at once no big deal. Car runs fine tune is spot on. I put the car away for MI winter.

I pull everything out, keep in mind i have long tubes, so whole front end is out to drop K member. I found no oil leak around rear main, i stuck my hands up in the weep hole under the intake manifold, and felt oil. I pulled supercharger today with lower intake and found oil just sitting in the bottom of the valley. I have no run marks on the heads or intake gaskets. Car has been sitting a while like all winter. I did notice that intake runners on driver side bank are a lot darker than the passenger side. I had one bolt head broken on the middle of the lower intake manifold on driver side, would this cause a massive oil leak and runners to look darker? I dont have nay blue smoke and believe i am not burning oil just leaking. So not getting into combustion chamber seems to be worse under boost.

I go ok did i miss something on rebuild, block crack... worst nightmares running through my head. Heads have arp studs with cometic head gasket, intake gaskets were fel pro. Any advice is appreciated, I can always take more pictures.

Update: After closer inspection of PCV system found lots of oil in lines, could this be the source blow pass the thread at the bottom of the lower intake manifold? Hoses show no signs of crack, just outside of 90 fitting on the bottom on the lower intake has a slight amount of oil. This maybe due to it sitting in oil on the block. Strong possibility it might be the pcv system. IF anyone could chime in on a cracked line or something causing oil leaking about 1 qt every 750 miles let me know. Yes i am under boost like a normal cobra driver, so compounding factor.

I notice hole in center of block i have no idea what that is for maybe someone can chime in on picture below.
g3ps.jpg

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I had a similar leak when the hose on the bottom of the blower split on my old car. The fire wall had an oil spot on it because when the car went into boost it would blow it out of the hose.

fastback brian

Established Member
the threaded hole in the block is for a knock sensor, not used on the cobra .. your leak is from the pcv hoses for sure... install new hose off the manifold, something more of an oil line than the stock vacuum line...you may want to clean out the intake manifold too..
You can help reduce the oil puddling by installing one or two oil separators, not them plastic ones but somthing like the Moroso aluminum cans..

Users who are viewing this thread