Oil pan gasket change

wvmystichrome

Established Member
My wife's daily driven 95 T-Bird is leaking oil around the oil pan. Looks to be a straight forward shot at changing it. Local dealer is offering an oil change and filter change, coolant system flush and refill, balance and rotate all tires and inspect 72 points for $129.00. I thought that was a great deal. So I call and ask how much to put in an oil pan gasket. $300.00 for labor only. I about fell over.

Question is: Has anyone one on here ever had to change the oil pan gasket and if so how long and how much trouble did it take? Dealer says the book says charge 5 hours for labor so that is where the $300.00 comes from. I thought maybe an hour and keep the bill under $200.00 with the special but geez whiz. Do you have to build your own gasket or can you buy one? I have a buddy who works there and he told me before it was not that hard to change.

Thanks for any info.

warmaster

Established Member
My wife's daily driven 95 T-Bird is leaking oil around the oil pan. Looks to be a straight forward shot at changing it. Local dealer is offering an oil change and filter change, coolant system flush and refill, balance and rotate all tires and inspect 72 points for $129.00. I thought that was a great deal. So I call and ask how much to put in an oil pan gasket. $300.00 for labor only. I about fell over.

Question is: Has anyone one on here ever had to change the oil pan gasket and if so how long and how much trouble did it take? Dealer says the book says charge 5 hours for labor so that is where the $300.00 comes from. I thought maybe an hour and keep the bill under $200.00 with the special but geez whiz. Do you have to build your own gasket or can you buy one? I have a buddy who works there and he told me before it was not that hard to change.

Thanks for any info.

You will have to lift the motor off the K-member. Its a bitch

Users who are viewing this thread