Oil Pan Bent - Need to Replace?

Waxxon

Established Member
Recently had a friend (shop owner) install a pair of Steeda Motor Mounts for me and in his initial attempt to lift / support the engine he slightly bent in the bottom of my oil pan (see below). The bend (more of a dent) is slightly forward of the oil drain plug. Will this cause any long term issues? Is the oil pickup that low in that part of the pan?

oilpan_zpsd9245790.jpg

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
How is he a shop owner and does that to your car? That's a rookie mistake.

I'd replace it asap but that's just me.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I would worry about the finish, then rust, and/or the plus eventually not sealing.

If funds are an issue it will probably be fine.

If funds are not an issue, I see it as a chance to upgrade.

Waxxon

Established Member
I would worry about the finish, then rust, and/or the plus eventually not sealing.

If funds are an issue it will probably be fine.

If funds are not an issue, I see it as a chance to upgrade.

Long term I'll replace it when I swap out k-members. Was hoping it would hold out for a few months. Main concern is possible oil pickup blockage. Don't really know how low it sits.

redline5.0

Established Member
Replace that pan asap. That is why I currently don't have a car to drive. There is such little clearance that my engine starved and the oil filter is full of shavings and god only knows what else. Yet to have the engine torn apart to see how bad it is.

Waxxon

Established Member
Replace that pan asap. That is why I currently don't have a car to drive. There is such little clearance that my engine starved and the oil filter is full of shavings and god only knows what else. Yet to have the engine torn apart to see how bad it is.

Was your pan bent in the same area? How Bad?

redline5.0

Established Member
I need to upload pictures so I can post them but it was pushed in good inch. I can't really tell how bad yours is from the picture but it looks to be in the same spot.
2014-02-26112113_zps58f37a6d.jpg

2014-02-26112021_zps6e49fa79.jpg

2014-02-26112028_zps32cf17bb.gif

2014-02-26112230_zps4e84fe0e.jpg

Last edited:

Waxxon

Established Member
I need to upload pictures so I can post them but it was pushed in good inch. I can't really tell how bad yours is from the picture but it looks to be in the same spot.

Damn. How long after the pan was dented did you pull the oil filter and find that? Any other symptoms?

Mine has been dented for a few weeks at least. I've let it go for so long because the installer said "it's fine".

redline5.0

Established Member
I picked the car up and did one single wot pull and got a engine tick what sounded like a lifter tick and tuner said log looks good prolly a stretchy belt issue and ford agreed. Couple days later it seemed to get worse and took it back and had ford pull it in and that is what the found. The car is actually still drive able but would just make things worse. Was throwing vct/cam codes which is the only reason ford decide to even look at it, before they said no code no care rofl.

Last edited:

Waxxon

Established Member
I picked the car up and did one single wot pull and got a engine tick what sounded like a lifter tick and tuner said log looks good prolly a stretchy belt issue and ford agreed. Couple days later it seemed to get worse and took it back and had ford pull it in and that is what the found. The car is actually still drive able but would just make things worse. Was throwing vct/cam codes which is the only reason ford decide to even look at it, before they said no code no care rofl.

Hmm... Well it's been a few weeks here, multiple WOT pulls, and no abnormal sounds or codes. Feel slightly better, but will still get checked out ASAP.

Sucks you have to go through that.

SCalla1384

Established Member
When we were putting my dads trans back in his Mach 1, we used a piece of wood to jack the oil pan to tilt the motor back, didn't lift it by any means. We did it on my 2v like 3 times.

Ended just barely pushing it in, causing the crank scraper to make contact with the crank. Was the tiniest little dimple. Dropped the K and replaced the pan.

Shit happens, people make mistakes. Guarantee he won't make make that mistake again

grnenvy

Established Member
Its kinda crazy but a lot of guys support the motor by putting a jack under the pan when working on it. Sometimes u can get away with it but it's a 50/50 chance. The proper tool is a strut tower engine support there around a $100 bucks.
I have had these motors apart and also the oil pan off I would replace the pan because it looks like its bent up right where the pickup sits inside the pan which could possible be staring the motor of oil.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread