Oil on spark plug threads

RedfireRed03

Established Member
I changed my spark plugs today for the first time since I bought it last October. When I pulled some of the plugs there was a lot of oil on the threads of #1 and #5 and a little less on 6, 7, and 8. I've read that it could be the spark plugs hole seals. Is that likely? Is this a common issue on the Terminators? Any other ideas what could be causing this?

Also, when I started it up after changing the plugs I got a lot of blue smoke out the tailpipes. It stopped after a few minutes. What could have caused that? Thanks for any help.

What's a lot? You have any pics? I wouldn't worry if you have some oil on the threads. Have some on all 8 of mine. I'm at 73k. If the electrode was covered in oil I'd be a somewhat concerned but then again, a new gasket might be the simple fix.

Last edited:

RedfireRed03

Established Member
It was enough that it was dripping down my socket when I pulled it out and dripping onto the ground while I was looking at it. Car has 56K miles on it.
#1 and #5 (isn't that the front ones on each side?) had the most on them. 6, 7, and 8 all had less on them. 2, 3, and 4 were dry.

metaman

Established Member
It is the cam cover gasket at the top of the spark plug hole. The blue smoke after start up was probably just some oil that got on top of the piston when you pulled the plug and it was burning off. I have this in a couple of my spark plug holes also. I just pull the coils, and wash the holes out when I wash the motor. Then I blow the water out of the holes with an air gun. Mine are not leaking enough for me to go to the trouble of pulling the cam covers. Some might consider this lazy, however I don't really care. The car runs the same either way.

Users who are viewing this thread