Oil on plug seat?

michael kellam

Established Member
Guys I changed out my plugs today and what I found on most of the plugs was a thick syrup like oil residue on the seats of the plugs. The threads were relatively dry as we're the tops of the plugs. Only the seat was affected.

Plugs were motor raft platinum. Any ideas?

mike

michael kellam

Established Member
a9y6p0.jpg

123msrt.jpg

here is an example.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Mike, my guess would be anti-seize also, but the plug threads in the second picture look kind of dry. Did you see any signs of oil getting past the valve cover gaskets on each plug, ie. oil residue down the spark plug chamber walls, or oil on the COP boot, or oil collecting around the plugs in the bottom of the chamber? If nothing like that, I would not be concerned. Just put some anti-seize on your new TR6s (box in picture), gap them properly for your boost level, and torque them down.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Did you see any signs of oil getting past the valve cover gaskets on each plug, ie. oil residue down the spark plug chamber walls, or oil on the COP boot, or oil collecting around the plugs in the bottom of the chamber?

This happened to me earlier this year. A touch of RTV around the top tube seal fixed the problem.

michael kellam

Established Member
Mike, my guess would be anti-seize also, but the plug threads in the second picture look kind of dry. Did you see any signs of oil getting past the valve cover gaskets on each plug, ie. oil residue down the spark plug chamber walls, or oil on the COP boot, or oil collecting around the plugs in the bottom of the chamber? If nothing like that, I would not be concerned. Just put some anti-seize on your new TR6s (box in picture), gap them properly for your boost level, and torque them down.

the tubes were dry of any moisture as were the coils and boots. it was specifically isolated to the base of the plug, where the plug seats. again it was the consistency of quick set caulking. i wasn't able to wipe it off of my hands. the other plugs have a bit more on the threads.

which anti seize is prefered?

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
the tubes were dry of any moisture as were the coils and boots. it was specifically isolated to the base of the plug, where the plug seats. again it was the consistency of quick set caulking. i wasn't able to wipe it off of my hands. the other plugs have a bit more on the threads.

which anti seize is prefered?

That is a good thing, no reason for concern then.

I use Permatex anti-seize on the threads and a little dielectric grease on the top of the plugs. Workshop manual spark plug torque spec is 13lb-ft for stock boost levels.

nxhappy

Established Member
use a LIGHT coat of antiseize. You don't want gobs of it .

Users who are viewing this thread