Oil on my plugs (help)

1KleenSVT

Established Member
Im having a problem with my car, one night my car started to smoke a bit, i did some research and neticed blow by was a common problem so on my way to the parts store to get some parts for the blow by problem it started to run rough so i limped to back to my shop. I took the plugs out and the 2 middle ones on the passenger side had the electrode touching the plugs, the front plug was covered in oil. I replaced all the plugs and put the blow by parts on and most of the smoke is gone but im still getting smoke. I took the same plug out that had the oil on it, put a new plug in and took it out today and it was still covered in oil.

The car only has 4000 miles on it some im hoping its not internal, can someone please help.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I took the plugs out and the 2 middle ones on the passenger side had the electrode touching the plugs...

You mean there was no gap between the center electrode and outer ground strap? That sounds serious imo, like the pistons contacted the ground electrode. No rod knock? I did something like that once on my 428cj, old bad gas, it detonated bad and ruined couple pistons and rod bearing after it was sitting all winter. The octane I guess dried up. Broke a ring land on one piston. Letting cars sit is bad, lot of things to go wrong esp w fuel.

Vnmous1_04

InFamous Racing
Established Member
If the rings were bad when should my car be smoking? shouldn't it be smoking all the time?

Before anything I would do a compression test...Check to see if every cylinder had normal compression because i just did my buddys car same thing smoking and had oil in the plug did a compression test...1 cylinder had 0 took it apart all 8 pistons were toasted...ran nitrous but like i said check your compression!

1KleenSVT

Established Member
Well i did a compression test about an hour ago and the whole driver side was between 110-115 PSI, on the passenger side the plug that had the oil on it had only 70 PSI. I put a small amount of oil in the cylinder to see if the compression stayed the same or went up and it jumped to 90 PSI, so now im almost sure its the rings. My next question is who else has had this problem?

Well i did a compression test about an hour ago and the whole driver side was between 110-115 PSI, on the passenger side the plug that had the oil on it had only 70 PSI. I put a small amount of oil in the cylinder to see if the compression stayed the same or went up and it jumped to 90 PSI, so now im almost sure its the rings. My next question is who else has had this problem?

Man if you did that compression test correctly, then those are awfully low numbers for a motor with 4k. Not looking good at all. Sorry to hear.

1KleenSVT

Established Member
Well im planning on taking the motor out sometime in the next week, im looking at a brand new long block from ford racing so i have a clean slate. Has anybody dropped the motor out the bottom of the car, I looked under the car at work today and it didnt look too bad? i've seen it done but i want to know from people who have done it.

Well i have a project to do now, not the cheapest but something to do.

1KleenSVT

Established Member
No it was sitting outside work all day then i just drove it from the parking lot into the shop maybe 50ft.

Users who are viewing this thread