Oil on all spark plugs and struggling starts help

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
So a month again I wrote here why my car cranks but doesn't start. Most said it was a fuel pump . I had a mechanic come over I have spark and fuel pump is solid. He noticed my plugs were soaked in oil or gas forgot which it was. So we replaced the plugs and the car once again didn't start. So he said to floor down the gas pedal while starting and after 8 seconds it started while I was feathering the gas pedal so t didn't stall and then stayed on. A few days later here I still have to tap the gas pedal to get it started like I have the past 2 years .my guy thinks I need to run some seafoam through a vacuum line and get on hgy which I did and open it up to clear out old debris. It starts sometimes w out gas pedal tap but I shouldn't ever have to do that.

Why is my car doing this and what is truly wrong w it? Please help

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RX1Cobra

Established Member
By your plugs being soaked you mean the electrodes and not the body of the plug (where the boot goes) right? It's also really important to know if it's oil or gas on the plugs. I'm going to assume it's gas and that's why flooring it (shuts off injectors) the car starts.

If it's all 8 plugs that are wet (with gas) I'd be looking at the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). Take a wif of your oil and see if it stinks like gas. If the plugs are wet with fuel may not be a bad idea to change the oil.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
By your plugs being soaked you mean the electrodes and not the body of the plug (where the boot goes) right? It's also really important to know if it's oil or gas on the plugs. I'm going to assume it's gas and that's why flooring it (shuts off injectors) the car starts.

If it's all 8 plugs that are wet (with gas) I'd be looking at the fuel rail pressure sensor (FRPS). Take a wif of your oil and see if it stinks like gas. If the plugs are wet with fuel may not be a bad idea to change the oil.

+1 I just went through this. Pull the vacuum line on the FRPS and see if there is fuel in it, many times it's the diaphragm that goes and lets fuel into the vacuum lines.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yes it is gas sorry and only on the electrode part not boot area. So pull the vacuum line on the frps and if there is fuel in it replace the frps btl of it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Yes it is gas sorry and only on the electrode part not boot area. So pull the vacuum line on the frps and if there is fuel in it replace the frps btl of it?

Yes, if there is fuel in the vacuum line on the FRPS then the sensor is definitely blow. If there isn't it still may have failed electrically. If the plugs are soaked and they car was previously running (you know the tune is good) I'd still lean towards that. Although the fact you can drive it and it's not super rich makes it less straight forward.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
Yes, if there is fuel in the vacuum line on the FRPS then the sensor is definitely blow. If there isn't it still may have failed electrically. If the plugs are soaked and they car was previously running (you know the tune is good) I'd still lean towards that. Although the fact you can drive it and it's not super rich makes it less straight forward.

I pulled the vacuum line off frps and no fuel in it and at this point I'll gamble and replace it anyways and pray this is the reason for my gas tap pedal starts and gas on plugs.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
I pulled the vacuum line off frps and no fuel in it and at this point I'll gamble and replace it anyways and pray this is the reason for my gas tap pedal starts and gas on plugs.

So I put in the frps and still same results.
My mechanic is saying I should go w a platinum plug instead of my tr6 plugs. I really don't think that is it or he said to clean my maf Which had been mentioned here before.

Idk wtf to do as I've now changed the fuel filter, frps, diagnosed my car and I'm getting spark and it's not my fuel pump as I can drive my car around. I just many times have to tap the gas pedal to get it started and I'm sick of doing that as I want a nice clean start! Also my oil doesn't seem like there is fuel mixed in according to dip stick and me smelling

Help guys what else could it be? I will clean maf next FYI

01yellercobra

Established Member
No point in changing plugs if it'll run. Is it only at idle that you have the issue? Have you cleaned the IAC?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
No point in changing plugs if it'll run. Is it only at idle that you have the issue? Have you cleaned the IAC?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Once I get it started it idles fine it's just when I cold start it or drive it for a hour let it sit for 15 mins then restart it I have to tap gas pedal may times

Iac n maf I have not cleaned imma do that next.

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
FYI to all who helped I decided to clean my k&n and air filter which I've never cleaned since I put the supercharger on back in 2008 but I've only driven it around 28,000 miles since then. I also cleaned the throttlebody for the first time ever and put a new gasket on and my throttlebody was filthy! I clean the heck out of it and I also replaced the iac and spray cleaned the iat.
Now it fires right up!

Users who are viewing this thread