Oil Level, Consumption, long explanation

DamageInc

Banned
Does this scenario seem unusual? I have a 2001 Cobra that was bought new and was driven very conservatively for the first 1000 miles, I checked the oil level periodically from the first day I had the car, oil level was right at the middle of the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick. At around 1000 miles I noticed the level had gone to about 1/4" below the middle point of the range. At around 2000 miles the level was less than 1/4" above the MIN mark. At around 2500 miles the level was not on the dipstick at which time I was going to take the car in for other service anyways. The car went in at 2600 miles, when I told the service advisor about my concern regarding the oil level he wanted to check it himself, I popped the hood for him and he pulled the dipstick and was very concerned at the lack of oil on the dipstick. His reply was along the lines of "this car isnt going anywhere till we determine why the level is this low".

Long story short, the dealership had the car for about 3 or 4 days while working on other issues with it, bad idle-replaced the MAF, Clutch release fork and TO bearing. After talking with their service manager and others who implied that they had exhaustively investigated the oil consumption issue and had checked all the known possibilites, ie leaking, burning, or otherwise consuming oil they could not definitively point out any other reason short of normal usage, I was asked to check the level frequently and note if the level dropped again, I was told that it is not unusual for an engine to use a number of quarts of oil in the first few thousand miles. The dealership changed what oil was left and made absolutely sure that the SVT required number of quarts was replaced.

Almost done, anyways at around 4000 miles I noticed the same drop in level as stated originally, at around 5000 miles the level was way down and now at about 5600 miles the level is just about at dead ass low on the dipstick. Does it seem like this engine is using more oil than what is deemed normal? The car sometimes sees 100 miles of driving a day and most of that is highway and interstate at 70mph. I've noticed from day one that on moderate to hard acceleration there is noticeable chatter and excessive noise from the engine as compared to my brothers 99 cobra.
My problem is this, I have driven 3 cars in my life and none have used oil to the point where the level dropped off the dipstick in less than 3000 miles, with the Cobra i am concerned about an engine that "loses oil" that is driven like it is intened in the high rpm range on occasion. Any thoughts or ideas? I guess the worst that can happen is long term engine damage, I dont want to have to leave the car at the dealership down the road if something breaks.

scjmach1

Established Member
It is normal for some cars to use oil during break-in but this seems excessive. These modern cars are built to much closer tolerences than the older cars were. Keep a close watch on it.

YELL-OSNAKE

Established Member
HEARD ABOUT SOME PROBLEMS ON SVT LIGHTENINGS WITH VALVE GUIDE PROBLEMS...LEAKING OIL INTO CYLINDERS. DON'T HAVE MUCH MORE INFO THAN THAT...YOU CAN DO MORE RESEARCH...DOES SEEM VERY EXCESSIVE...SOME LOSS IS NORMAL..BUT NOT THAT MUCH. GOOD LUCK

[iSEPIC]

Damn Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I have had the exact same prob, from day one.

They replaced the engine at 2000 miles, and now again at 18000 miles (second engine), both because of massive oil consumption.

If you want the engine replaced under warranty, they wil have to do a oil consumption monitoring test. So, when its low, you bring it to them, they top it off. If its using/burning/whatever over 1.0 quarts per 1000 miles (for the 2001's) they will replace the engine, because they are not allowed to break it open and work on it. My dealership coudln't find any leaking either, from the first time or this time, and no other signs of where it's going. Of course they say for the first few thousand miles it may burn more oil than normal, so you'll have to wait. But at least get them to start the oil consumption test if you're over a thousand or so miles.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I've noticed that on my engine also
maybe not as much as yours, but when I change my oil, the drained oil is usually a little less than a quart lower than what I put in. (i.e. a little more than five quarts drained, that's accounting for what I estimate to be in the filter also)
BTW I have 14000+ miles.

P51 Pilot

Established Member
I'm consuming about 1 qt per 4000 miles. Seems a bit high for a new car but not excessive. Car has 7,800 miles.

Perhaps a better determination as to cause can be made by keeping oil level to the full mark by replenishing as necessary and keeping a log of refills and mileage. I would also note the kind of driving between topups.

This would provide a clear usage rate, possibly provide clues as to why AND avoid any dealer attempts to say the warranty is voided by lack of maintenance. Dealers seem to want to void the warranty first and ask questions later...

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I'll be changing mine this weekend, it's got about 1400 miles on it, but it's been since Sep so it's about time I do it. I had a small oil leak problem in Oct that they fixed and then filled it up.

Any suggestions on what to replace it with, should I get the MotorCraft SemiSynthetic 5w20?.. Also, with all this talk, do you think we should even change the oil ourselves, or have them do it?

I can always take pics of everytime I change the oil, but I would hate for them not to honor my warranty cause of doing it myself.

Shawn

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by BlackSnake2001
I'll be changing mine this weekend, it's got about 1400 miles on it, but it's been since Sep so it's about time I do it. I had a small oil leak problem in Oct that they fixed and then filled it up.

Any suggestions on what to replace it with, should I get the MotorCraft SemiSynthetic 5w20?.. Also, with all this talk, do you think we should even change the oil ourselves, or have them do it?

I can always take pics of everytime I change the oil, but I would hate for them not to honor my warranty cause of doing it myself.

Shawn

Go Full synthetic, it's not too much more, and it's a lot better than a blend. I run Mobil 1 5w30 (yes 30 weight is still ok, but if the dealership asks, say ,"yeah, i put 5w20 in it")

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by P51 Pilot
Dealers seem to want to void the warranty first and ask questions later...

Someone finally put it into the right words!!! That's the perfect phrase for how I feel about dealerships dealing with warranty issues!!! Thanks P51!

P51 Pilot

Established Member
Oil Changes and Warranties

BlackSnake2001 - I did not mean to imply that if you do the oil changes yourself you'd risk voiding the warranty. It's just that if there are any problems with the engine that can, in any way, be linked to a lack of oil, my experience with dealers is that they would immediately look to find, as an escape clause, someting/anything you've done/not done to the car to claim it's your fault.

Get this example: I've had a perimeter frame fabricated by a NASCAR shop that includes integral subframe connectors - the whole lot welded to the bottom of the car. Upon questioning the dealer re weird ABS brake modulation, the service manager stated that the non-factory bracing on the car likely reduced chassis flex so much that the subsystems like brakes may not work properly - voiding the warranty. Apparently the factory engineered the requirement for an unreinforced convertible's chassis flex for the brakes to work properly!!! He was confused by my question as to why coupes are not littering the highways!!

The more independent records that are kept (like shop-generated oil service records) and always showing up to discuss problems with a topped oil level simply minimizes, in my mind, the squirm room the dealers have to avoid addressing and fixing the problem under the warranty.

BTW, I have changed servicing dealers...

Cobra'03

Established Member
P51:

Classic! I have had the same problem. I had an '87 Stang GT with a cat-back, and the dealer tried to blame the alternator failure at 6700 miles on that! I also once had a GM factory rep tell me that my 1985 Z51 Vette was leaking from the rear main because "I changed the oil too much". Ford is ther worst in my experience.

For the legal types out there, a reminder:

1) Under the Magnuson-Moss act, the part that the dealer alleges to have been the cause of a non-warranty situation must be shown to be the "proximate" cause. A bad air filter that ruins a flow sensor is a proximate cause. An aftermarket exhaust is not.

2) Warranties cannot be "revoked" without being in written form. Ask the dealer to do so, then send to Ford or your local State Attorney's office.

Of course, warranty work is only as good as the dealer. Find a good one, treat the mechanics well (I always leave a carton of Marlboros on the seat with a note that says "Help Yourselves"). Pretty soon they get to know your car, and the word "gets out" that you are "OK", and you get better treatment. It is the guys in the back that make the difference, not the nit-wit up front.

Treat others as you would be treated - good advice 2000 years ago, solid today.

Users who are viewing this thread