Oil Leaking out of My Air Filter

dowchr

Established Member
Hi All,

I have a 97 Cobra with 28,000 on it. It is supercharged with a Vortech V1, 42lbs injectos and full exhaust. Other than that the rest of the moto is stock.

This weekend I took the car to be dyno'd. It made 425RWHP which I was happy about.

When I got home I saw there was some oil driping out of the air filter.

After doing some reseach I have read if could be a lot of things. PCV valve issues, seals on the blower and possibly a motor starting to go bad.

Can anyone suggest what may be the issue and a possible fix?

Thansk.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
you can usually tell if it's blower oil or not since the oil blower manufacturers use is much thinner than conventional oil and usually of a different color or clear altogether. 1st I would check the throttle body and see if there's oil on the backside of the blade. then I would check the plugs. if the plugs aren't fouled by oil then I would lean towards pcv valve. it's pretty common for modulars without a catch can or oil seperator to collect oil in the intake.

dowchr

Established Member
I have Vortech V1. Isn't the oil going through the blower the same oil that's in the motor.

I will say the oil dipping out of the air filter is darker than the oil in my motor.

lucheski

Established Member
Its probably leaking PCV almost all boosted mustangs do this... you need to deal with this problem because oil vapor is like 40 Octane and can lead to a blown up engine. The cheapest and easiest thing would be to put an oil separator kit on it. The best thing would be to run open breathers or a catch can setup that way you are sure NO OIL is getting into the motor. Running breathers or catch can would require a retune to be on the safe side though.

Oil Separators and Valve Cover Breathers - Engine - 03-04 SVT Cobra

catch can kit
Cobra Engine Breather System

dowchr

Established Member
Thank you. I beleive you are right. Can you give me a link to an oil seperator for a 1997 Cobra?

Also, is this hard to install?

Lastly, I've been getting some light gray smoke out the exhaust. Would this be do to the oil in the intake?

Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread