oil leak!

svt4cobra6

I have oil leaking from the back of the engine where the trans attatches. The motor is stock but has 61k miles (03 terminator). I can not tell exactly where it is comming from but just wondering if the oil pan gasket or rear main seal could be bad and if it is difficult to replace it?
thanks

wy3134

Established Member
where does the oil appear the most at? kinda curious cause ive noticed a little oil on top of the rear of the supercharger of my car, but not enough to worry about, yet anyway... lmk if you find more info

svt4cobra6

there is no oil at the top of the engine but the leak is pretty bad as it is dripping off of the back of the engine. I have the ford ESP Premium plan with 0 deductable (that expires in 6 months) so will just take it in to the dealer.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
gaskets can be a fluke thing.
sometimes it's sotin as simple as one cold night, one spot on the gasket gets cold and gets cracked and such.

svt4cobra6

yep, guess gaskets are subject to large temperature swings. The old fox body oil pan gaskets were a pain to change, not sure how difficult on a modular.

Fat-cat

Established Member
Mine leaks a bit due to the previous owner re-routing the PCV system and pressurizing the crank case a bit.. must have split it at one of the bolt holes .. not leaking bad.. but just enough to coat stuff in a mist lol ... ill do the pan gasket in the winter

svt4cobra6

Just an update on additional oil leaking although very minor. The dealer took care of it as I still have an extended ford warranty, expires in 3 months.
1. Lifted engine from K member, replaced oil pan gasket, as mentioned above.
2. Removed supercharger, discovered split hosing to PCV,replaced hosing, replaced supercharger gasket, refilled coolant for supercharger.
3. Rear main seal (small leak). Removed transmition replaced rear main seal.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Wow...good thing you got that done free...I would have refused the oil change and do it myself to make sure it gets done right, although in this situation you had no choice...through my experiences the dealerships mess up on the simplest tasks such as oil changes because they rush or have the less experienced techs doing menial jobs...

svt4cobra6

yep they did the oil as I think it was pretty low from removing the pan. i am going to change the oil tomorrow as I just picked up mobil 1 and the filter yesterday. I think they used motorcraft which is a synth blend so not as good as full synth.

Users who are viewing this thread