Oil Leak, not sure what to do.

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
There is a leak comming from the cylinder the oil filter on my 4.6 attaches to. It looks like there is some sort of hole in that piece a few inches from where nthe filter screws in that is leaking the oil. It will leak right when the car starts up, but then seems to slow down or stop after it warms up. What could be the problem??

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
you need to tighten the hex stud that the filter screws on to.

There is an o-ring seal that is currently loose. It expands when it gets hot and will seal up.

If tightening the hex stud doesn't work, you will need a new o-ring. All in all, an easy fix.

Dale99SVT

Established Member
I had the same thing happen. It was a pin hole in the housing where the oil filter screws on. Ford said it was a defect in the casting. It was replaced under warranty.( never seen that before) LOL It wouldnt leak all the time, but if you watched, every so often it would squirt a stream of oil and then just stop.

Dale99SVT

Established Member
Hey Quadcammer,
The hole that was in my housing looked like it was supposed to be there also. I cleaned the housing and watched from underneath while it ran,after 30 minutes or so ,I saw the oil squirt out the hole. Ford replaced the housing under warranty. What is the purpose for the hole?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
its a weep hole, just like the one in the water pump. It lets you know that a seal is going out, so that you don't get water mixing with the coolant in the oil/water cooler.

This is very common, and most people just need to snug up the stud. If that doesn't work, a new o-ring almost always does. There is not much to the cooler, so all that could be wrong is a gasket.

If you look, you will see that the new on has the hole too.

Dale99SVT

Established Member
If you didnt pay attenion to where you park, (leaks) this could easily lead to a new engine. With all the sensors on this car, I dont think one one more to detect your oil spraying from the car would hurt.

McFly said:
There is a leak comming from the cylinder the oil filter on my 4.6 attaches to. It looks like there is some sort of hole in that piece a few inches from where nthe filter screws in that is leaking the oil. It will leak right when the car starts up, but then seems to slow down or stop after it warms up. What could be the problem??

I just had the same thing happen over a month ago. I thought I had a blown head gasket. Do just what QuadCammer said, that was the fix.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
quadcammer said:
I believe you will need a 1/2" allen key or hex socket

Yes, it's a 1/2" allen/hex.
If tightening the hollow stud doesn't fit, then its the red O-ring

Users who are viewing this thread