Oil Leak From Distributor

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
Im stumped. I had this leak before and then I took out the distributor and thought it was the oring and fixed it. PUt some silicone sealant on the top as well and sure enough the leak was still there. I just dont know what to do anymore without locktiting or sealing the thing down.

Anyone?

(Red Marks The Spot...Yes, I know its from there FOR SURE. Just before yall ask)
leakmarkks5.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Sounds odd. You sure the distributor adjustment lock down bolt is tight?

I'd clean the whole area very good, and then start it up, and hold a flashlight on it, to pin point the exact location on the collar ... it may be cracked, or the wrong O-ring was put on.

FWIW ... I've never heard of, or had a distributor shaft leak at that point. Sure it's not a mixture of grime & coolant, from the pump, hose, or thermostat housing?

Last edited:

TDMCobra

Ringside.
Established Member
RoadZOmbie said:
Is it possible that it may have a hairline crack, along with a worn out o ring?

Orings are good. I verifyed the parts number and replaced the o ring. No way they are bad.

Dano said:
Sounds odd. You sure the distributor adjustment lock down bolt is tight?

I'd clean the whole area very good, and then start it up, and hold a flashlight on it, to pin point the exact location on the collar ... it may be cracked, or the wrong O-ring was put on.

FWIW ... I've never heard of, or had a distributor shaft leak at that point. Sure it's not a mixture of grime & coolant, from the pump, hose, or thermostat housing?

Bolt it tight. Its not coolant and oil. My neighor had been a mechanic for close to 40 years, he helps me:-D and we determined it was all oil from that point. This isnt an oil well kind of leak but its very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread