oil in the intake!?

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
okay, so i've been having some stuttering problems over the past couple months. the car would choke at high rpms. the plugs were brand new, the wires are less than a year old. the coil packs were in good shape.

I have a small coolant leak, and i was beginning to fear the worst - that i had a blown headgasket. So this weekend i took the intake off and found a puddle of oil in the bottom of the lower intake. My theory was that the high velocity air coming in the intake was hitting that puddle and splashing and then getting sucked into the combustion chamber causing it to choke/stutter. so i emptied it out and cleaned the inake with carb cleaner and put it all back together.

Got it back on the road and it didn't stutter any more.

So i assume that this is because i don't have a oil seperator? What would cause that much oil to be sucked into the intake?

19Mystic96

Established Member
when i took my intake off to clean my IMRC's, i had a small puddle of oil in my intake too.. but i never had any stuttering problems like you did.. so i think the oil might be normal.. but i could be wrong.. someone chime in with their opinion..

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
all cars get oil into the intake via the pcv valve. I have an oil seperator and you wouldlnt believe how fast that sob fills with oil. A few full throttle runs and viola full.

But that is normal so dont freak out.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Breathers Doug, Breathers.

Or do a catch canset up. Don't do a little oil seperator for the amount of time you run the hell out of it.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i'm just curious why its doing it now....never happened before.

yeah, i'll look on those breathers. I figured that's the problem, but this was a good 4-5oz of oil in there.

thanks guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread