oil in intake tube

03svt4life

Established Member
i took off my jlt ram air intake to install dragon throttle body and plenium,there is oil in the intake tube. What does that mean? do i need to look into oil separator or is something wrong?

boatcop1

Established Member
I run an oil seperator on the drivers side and a plug in breather on the pass cam cover and block the bung on the intake tube. No issues at all.

I drain the seperator about once every two weeks and it does have a slight whistling/humming sound from the vacume running through it when the car is running.

ripnesscobra

Established Member
I run a check valve in line with the PCV valve on the driver's side. The motorcraft PCV valve does not work very well as a check valve for the supercharged application. Take it off and blow into it in the reverse direction (mimicking blowing into the valve cover). You will see that it lets air through. Adding a quality check valve on the driver's side should eliminate your problem.

I run the ANDAIR check valve from Aircraft Spruce (Part # 05-00719). I took the recommendation from James @ RWTD.

There are cheaper options out there (plastic check valves) that should work but I wanted one that was proven and would last.

I have attached a link to a picture (sorry its blurry) showing my setup on the driver's side. The setup goes (Valve Cover --> JLT Pre-filter --> PCV Valve --> Oil Seperator --> ANDAIR Check Valve --> Rear of Intake Manifold). You want to position the ANDAIR check valve with the flow arrow pointing from the valve cover towards the rear of the intake manifold. The JLT and Oil Seperator are to prevent oil from entering the intake manifold (where it covers the intercooler and can reduce octane). I highly recommend these as well, but they do not address your specific problem, the ANDair check valve will. As a secondary measure, I also run a JLT Pre-filter on the passenger's side valve cover.
SNC00101 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread