Oil in IC coolant????

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
As some may know I blew up my stock engine... #2 piston fried and a broken rod supposedly, although the engine runs and doesnt sound all that bad. Well evidently there is oil getting into my blower coolant, there is some on the capof my pfab tank. Any idea how the hell there is oil getting in there? My TB is also oozing out oil. Any input would be appriciated.

Steve

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The oil in the T.B. is most likely caused by blow by. I really can't think of how you would get oil in the I/C tank since it's a closed system, but I guess if you cracked the intercooler it could happen with excessive blow by.
Also, have you scene this "broken rod?" It's possible to break a rod, but not very common. The factory rods are forged H-Beam Manley's and hold up to a lot of abuse. Where on the rod did they say it broke?
pic6.gif

That's a beefy set of rods if you ask me.

02YZ125

So sticky
Established Member
I know, I cant imagine that the rod is broken but evidently they looked at it with a borascope and said it was, tho Im not sure where. Espessially since the car will start up and idle rather smoothly for an engine thats shot.

EJ23

Established Member
Well, one thing is for sure...something is f'ed up! Good Luck.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know how the hell anyone could see a rod with a bore scope. Unless the rod has punched through the piston all together, there is no way in hell they could see that. I would seek a second opinion man, do you trust the shop that's telling you this stuff. I'd bet that the piston broke a few ring lands and that's where the excessive blow by is coming from. That would explain why the car still runs smooth at idle.

The only way to see the rods (unless they broke clean through the block or through the piston) is to drop the oil pan. If they didn't do that, they can't say for sure that a rod is damaged.

KVN03

The Darkside Rocks!
Established Member
Ya man, second opinion! that's kinda weird? I know I had some build up from the lower intake tube from the pvc. I just don't get how it would get into the IC. let us know what happened.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I'm starting to wonder if the shop that's doing your work mixed up the coolant tank with the I/C tank.

Users who are viewing this thread