Oil Filter Relocaiton

whyxitx

Established Member
Has anyone ever built one of these from scratch? I know i'll need SS lines, AN fittings and the adapters but where should i get these? What AN fittings should i go with? I've never messed around with them before and i'm trying to save a little bit of money by building my own. I need one because i'm running the MM front K member.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
Here is a short cutaway from my build thread. I went with custom lines and the two ADP adapters/pieces. The hoses have a swivel on one end that makes remove/replace very easy. The fixed threaded ends replace the need for AN fittings which kept the cost down. I think the two hoses were about $26.00 for both or $13.00 a piece. Maybe another $45.00-$50.00 for the two adapters.

Today I measured for the oil filter adapter hoses, 2 hoses, 26 inches per hose flange to flange. I decided to go with the “OVER KILL” option! The hoses and fittings I picked out are rated to 3000 psi and are flame resistant. It took Hoses and Hydraulics Inc. about 8 minutes to build them to my specs and I was out the door with the custom pieces in hand. I have had the normal oil lines on these kits fail in the past and wanted something that was worry free for years to come.

DSC08193_zpsfc767ef3.jpg

DSC08194_zpsed21685e.jpg

I checked the clearance and as I thought the body mount bracket had to be trimmed on the front side. I wanted to make sure the hoses had plenty of room to move slightly with the engine and would not chafe against the sharp edges of the bracket.

DSC08201_zps85bfe57c.jpg

Then I attached the oil filter hoses to the remote adapter and routed them under the frame and over the top of the lower radiator hose and up to the adapter on the engine. They fit perfect and really don’t even need any ties to be held in place. The hoses are firm and maintain their position with very little movement.

DSC08202_zps1d3813dc.jpg

DSC08208_zpsd470af0a.jpg

DSC08210_zps78a6b432.jpg

DSC08216_zps017763bc.jpg

DSC08218_zps521c0761.jpg

Last edited:

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
+1 on the 3000psi hydraulic hose option, although I went with JIC flare fittings on hose ends because I was having some leakage at the NPT swivel end I tried first at the relatively low pressures the engine oil system runs at.

jbrown1238

Established Member
+1 on the 3000psi hydraulic hose option, although I went with JIC flare fittings on hose ends because I was having some leakage at the NPT swivel end I tried first at the relatively low pressures the engine oil system runs at.

I haven't had any issue with the larger swivel ends on the oil supply hose. However, I admit I did have a leak issue with the smaller one I used for the oil pressure gauge line. I ended up replacing it with a fixed fitting.

whyxitx

Established Member
What adapters did you use for oil filter housing and for adapter for the block? I've heard JIC fittings are cheaper than AN but I have no idea how they work or where to order said fitting for the best price. Seems like you can get away with making one of these much cheaper than the almost $300 you would spend on one from MM

jbrown1238

Established Member
What adapters did you use for oil filter housing and for adapter for the block? I've heard JIC fittings are cheaper than AN but I have no idea how they work or where to order said fitting for the best price. Seems like you can get away with making one of these much cheaper than the almost $300 you would spend on one from MM

I just did a little research on eBay and bought both adapters separately. I wanted the filter end to accept the F1A filter and the other end just needed to fit the 5.0L pushrod block. I think I used Trans Dapt or Perma Cool pieces.

Last edited:

BeanCrusher

Sidetracked yet again.
Established Member
You're in Lincoln Nebraska? Look for a tractor/farm implement dealer, they should be able to whip up a hose in a minute or two, and should have JIC flare fittings. (Which is what I used.)

Users who are viewing this thread