oil filter adapter leaks

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Ordered a 5 pack of Viton ETP O rings. They have a very high resistance to chemicals etc. and heat range up to 400F.

tional Width 1/16"
Actual Width 0.070"
Color Black
Cross Section Shape Round
Inside Dia. 3/4"
Actual Inside Dia. 0.739"
Outside Dia. 7/8"
Durometer Rating Medium
Durometer 75 Shore A
Temp. Range -10 F to 400 F

Where did you order them from?

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
Got the problem fixed also! Thanks again. I was gonna post about this but thankfully someone else already did!

Jerry98vert

Established Member
Ordered a 5 pack of Viton ETP O rings. They have a very high resistance to chemicals etc. and heat range up to 400F.

tional Width 1/16"
Actual Width 0.070"
Color Black
Cross Section Shape Round
Inside Dia. 3/4"
Actual Inside Dia. 0.739"
Outside Dia. 7/8"
Durometer Rating Medium
Durometer 75 Shore A
Temp. Range -10 F to 400 F

Can you please post when installed and tell us if this O ring works, thanks.

carrew

'01 Cobra Jet
Established Member
I get this leak real bad when the temps drop below freezing. My plan is to R/R this spring on a lift at a friends place.

gmsux

Established Member
Rec'd the O rings today, looks like we have a winner. Also got a 1/2" allen for $5. The Viton ETP is a little harder of a material so using some assembly lube to allow it to slide in and spin while tightening should do the trick. It appears to be a more durable material.

Can you please post when installed and tell us if this O ring works, thanks.

gmsux

Established Member
Don't have the motor back from MP yet, but, I see no reason it won't work, the O ring is a snug fit in the oil cooler and a superior material. Will post up when everything is up and running.

Established Member
Replaced my buddy's O-ring today.

Was easier than I initially assumed it would be.

So far his leak is gone, but I dunno if the O-ring was the cause of the coolant that was leaking even though his original orange O-ring was very beat up and flattened.

I suspect the pin was not tightened firmly enough by the shop that replaced his other oil cooler gaskets.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Just an FYI: If you can't easily find a 1/2" allen, I used a ~2" long 1/2" bolt that was in my assorted bolt drawer (I can't be the only one that has one of those). I just double-nutted the bolt and used it to tighten the oil cooler adapter w/a ratchet. And I consider myself a "tool guy" but I've only seen one use of a 1/2" allen -- our oil cooler adapters.

Established Member
Just an FYI: If you can't easily find a 1/2" allen, I used a ~2" long 1/2" bolt that was in my assorted bolt drawer (I can't be the only one that has one of those). I just double-nutted the bolt and used it to tighten the oil cooler adapter w/a ratchet. And I consider myself a "tool guy" but I've only seen one use of a 1/2" allen -- our oil cooler adapters.

Haha, that's some pretty cool manipulation of parts! :rockon:

Established Member
Edit..

4VCLRKT_03.jpg

Everything needed for the job..

Whaddya think? :shrug:

Last edited:

gmsux

Established Member
Looks like a complete kit.

BTW, the O rings I bought from Grainger work great.

Established Member
Looks like a complete kit.

BTW, the O rings I bought from Grainger work great.

Nice!

BTW, I did my buddy's car about 1.5 month ago and it fixed his problem.

..and I just did mine today, Replaced all the parts in the kit above and car is leak free! :D

1993gt40

Both Alpha and Bravo Gimbal rings are mounted to the gimble housings using 1/2" allen head studs for those of you who are boat people. Fortunately I had one of the giant allens in my toolbox from doing both the bellows on my Formula a few years back.

I'm about to go after this on my '03 which leaks an insane amount of oil when it's cold but completely stops once I turn the car off and re-start it after there is a bit of heat in the oil. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on a car.

Established Member
Both Alpha and Bravo Gimbal rings are mounted to the gimble housings using 1/2" allen head studs for those of you who are boat people. Fortunately I had one of the giant allens in my toolbox from doing both the bellows on my Formula a few years back.

I'm about to go after this on my '03 which leaks an insane amount of oil when it's cold but completely stops once I turn the car off and re-start it after there is a bit of heat in the oil. It's the most bizarre thing I've ever seen on a car.

When the engine is warm, the parts expand. Causing a better seal. When the car is cold, the parts contract and voila!

trxcobra

Established Member
Is it possible that only coolant would leak out of the oil cooler to engine block gasket? because i have a coolant leak that appears to be coming from that gasket but no oil is leaking. I'm assuming thats where it's coming from because thats basically the only gasket i re-used on the car..

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
was changing my oil and mine came out with the filter.. haha
Only to look at the red o ring and find it has a slight tear in it hence my leak.. I need to be at the track on saturday guess I will be taking it in the ass at the local ford dealer for a stupid o ring :(

Users who are viewing this thread