Oil fill level - dipstick calibration

MICH_427_Cobra

Established Member
I have a question about a '93. Checked the oil, and the oil level appeared to be a quart high (based on the dipstick).
Took the car to the local Ford dealer for an oil change. They put in 5 quarts, and the oil level was right where it was before the oil change.
Any ideas why?
They said they removed both drain plugs for the oil change. The oil pan has no dents, etc.

Can someone please check to see how long their dipstick is? (Don't go there!)
If you could measure from the BOTTOM of the dipstick to the BOTTOM of the handle (just want the dipstick length, don't want to include the yellow handle in measurement) that would be great.
Thanks!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Don't have a measurement for you, but I can say that some 5.0's came with the wrong dipstick. I seem to remember a tsb on that at one time or another. Maybe Goodson will chime in, he probably has the exact specs memorized, along with the tsb # and the VIN #'s affected...

:D

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
My old LX 5.0 was the same way. When I filled it with five quarts, it read too high. My Cobra does not have the same problem.

Digdoug

Established Member
I may have your answer. I made the place change my oil 3 times...I finally went out there and watched them....as I'm sure you know we have a double sump oil pan. If the only pull the drain plug from the larger main oil pan it leaves about 3/4 of a quart in the front part of the pan. Make sure they pull both drain plugs. I pointed it out on mine, they changed it again pulling both plugs and it's perfect now.

***EDIT***

Sorry, I reread your post and I see you said they pulled both plugs. Thought I had it figured out for you.

Last edited:

JimJr

I Like Curves
Established Member
Originally posted by MICH_427_Cobra
If you could measure from the BOTTOM of the dipstick to the BOTTOM of the handle (just want the dipstick length, don't want to include the yellow handle in measurement) that would be great.
Thanks!

My dip stick measures a hair over 23". It seems to be dead on when I change the oil. :shrug:

93deznutsblown

Could be faster than u!!!
Established Member
Re: Re: Oil fill level - dipstick calibration

Originally posted by JimJr
My dip stick measures a hair over 23". It seems to be dead on when I change the oil. :shrug:

Ditto here......

Users who are viewing this thread