Oil Drain Plug Freewheels

BOOOOST

Established Member
Anyone ever went to take off their oil drain plug and found that it just freewheels after it breaks loose? Yeup, friend had this happen on his Cobra yesterday. After he loosened it (and, no, he did not turn it the wrong way), the nut on the inside of the oilpan, with the threads, popped off from its weld (which was apparently not tacked well at all during the manufacturing).

First oil change too :(

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
That is a PIA to fix. Can he bring it back to Ford under warrenty since it is his first oil change? If not he is basically going to have to pull the motor or drop the k-member to remove and fix/replace the pan. There are other ways, but I wouldn't do them.

BOOOOST

Established Member
The dealer will probably remove the k-member, although they could also jack the motor up some and swap it out that way I believe.

stangin

Established Member
Waranty for sure, I have had a nut welded to the outside of the automatic pans in the past so I could change the tranny fluid more often, worked out well, but probably would not want to do that to a new car.

davidmax

Established Member
I had my cylinder head replaced after I had a stripped plug in the cylinder,Took 2 mos. any mix up you can think of!!!.They tried to blame me for the strip and I've been building some preety fast motors for 33 years and own 2 shops 1 they know here in the Phonix area.
When they try to bill a tech who has awaarantty issue????????
I believe 100% that is a warrented job and I worked 12+ years at various dealers mostly GM,Dave S.
PS GO GET EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread