Oil Dipstick

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
Ive noticed that if I drive for awhile or drive aggressively, my oil dipstick pops out maybe like an inch. Anyone have a similar problem and how could I fix it?

I could possibly ziptie it down...

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
most likely you got a shit ton of crankcase pressure. If its blowing out the dipstick, the right thing to do is not to ziptie it. lol

if you have decent leakdown numbers or low miles, you most likely have a clogged pcv or something that is causing excessive crankcase pressure.

fix the problem, not the consequence

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
ive noticed when i drive aggresively, i get excited and mine pops out, too. but ususally its MUCH worse, like 5 or 6 inches..........to fix it you should lube it up and stick it in the hole. do this several times and youll eventually relieve the pressure, like quad said. it can get messy though.

just messin with ya' :)

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
Does anyone have a picture of where the PCV valve is on a 5.0L. I looked in my Haynes manual and it says its on the back of the lower intake manifold but I cant find it.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Ha-ha-haaaaaaaaaaa ... I can remember looking for mine, and giving up several times!

Get an inspection mirror, and a flashlight, and then look at the bottom right rear corner of the upper air plenum. It's plugged into the top of the engine block, so to speak, in a grommet, to keep it snug, and there is a hose attached to the top of the valve. Once you've done it, you can then do it by "feel" the next time. Unless you have a two foot long neck, the mirror will help to ensure the valve is inserted all the way into the grommet. When you replace the PCV, you can easily replace the grommet too, if the valve fits loosely (Ford P/N: F7CZ-6A892-AA [Retainer]).

Afterthought: The Haynes Repair Manual gives some very good information and illustrations, but in the case of the PCV valve, I agree with you - it sucks, and leaves you hanging. I bought the new valve, then looked for it on the engine several times, and just gave up, and put the part on the shelf for about 7 months! In a case like that, you need to use a mirror and flashlight.

Last edited:

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
b dub said:
ive noticed when i drive aggresively, i get excited and mine pops out, too. but ususally its MUCH worse, like 5 or 6 inches..........to fix it you should lube it up and stick it in the hole. do this several times and youll eventually relieve the pressure, like quad said. it can get messy though.

hahahaha lol :thumbsup:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Dano said:
Once you've done it, you can then do it by "feel" the next time.
uh huh, its definitely discouraging, but i think the best way is to just feel around until you find the little SOB. there isnt too much else back there to pull apart, so pull, prod and generally just fingerf*ck everything and youll feel it come out of the grommet. and it shouldnt be in there tight or anything either, should pull straight up and out :)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Have to disagree on this one. A new grommet will hold the PCV tight. If it's wobbling around, it'll also leak gases and be ineffective. Of course, it's not so tight that you can't wiggle it and pull it out with yur hand, but once in, it shouldn't move around. The mirror will take all the guess-work out of what you are doing ... and feeling.

Last edited:

b dub

4.10's or 4.30's??!!
Established Member
Dano said:
A new grommet will hold the PCV tight.
yes, but his is probably well worn?

Dano said:
If it's wobbling around, it'll also leak gases and be ineffective.
of course :)

Dano said:
it's not so tight that you can't wiggle it and pull it out with your hand.
and this was my main point, really

Dano said:
The mirror will take all the guess-work out of what you are doing ... and feeling.
i will have to AGREE with you on this, dano :beer:

MaineStreetKing

Established Member
Very important is that you remove the pcv valve.....then the grommet.....and then use a pick tool and remove the mesh wire filter below the grommet. These get full of oil and then the oil hardens up and blocks the passage to the PCV.....so therefore no matter how well the pcv valve itself works....the system won't work correctly. You can get this from FORD for cheap. Also.....if your vaccuum hose feels brittle replace it.......it's cheap insurance against vaccuum leaks. Good luck.

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
You may have a mesh screen on your 4-valve 4.6, but I don't believe the 5.0 has one under the grommet ... mine didn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

MaineStreetKing

Established Member
I was talking about the 5.0. I know the 85ish through 93's had them, so i don't see why the 94 95 wouldn't. There is none on the 4.6's as the pcv goes in the valvecover.

strickensix

Whistlin'
Established Member
I still cant find where it is. Can anyone post a picture of like the engine and a circled area of where it is and even the tube?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Nate, get an inspection mirror & flashlight, and do like I said above ... you'll have a complete view of what's behind the upper air plenum. The PCV valve will be completely visible!

If your neck is long enough, you can look behind the lower right rear corner of the plenum, with a flashlight, and you'll see it plugged into the engine block (intake manifold ... not the plenum), with a vacuum hose connected to the top of it!!!!

Last edited:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Nate ... these photos are the only ones I could find, but it shows the general location of the PCV valve.

Like I said before, this valve won't jump out & grab you, but once located, you'll be able to do it with your eyes closed ... (remember, I gave up on mine two times, for the best part of a year, and got tired of looking at that new valve sitting on the shelf, so I got the mirror out, and then felt like kicking myself in the butt, cause it was so easy):

plen19a.jpg

plen33a.jpg

Badasp5.0

Established Member
MaineStreetKing said:
I was talking about the 5.0. I know the 85ish through 93's had them, so i don't see why the 94 95 wouldn't. There is none on the 4.6's as the pcv goes in the valvecover.

Mine has one.....in fact i lost it and had to order a new one... :beer:
Hey Dano werent you on SCOA a while back?

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Yeah, I was. That Web Site (Forum) seemed to go down all the time, and then just left town! I'm talking about 2 or so years ago. Are you talking about the one that's supported in Houston (Central Texas)? I haven't been to that one lately. They handled all the cruise info, and has a lot of cool members. :rockon:

Badasp5.0

Established Member
Dano said:
Yeah, I was. That Web Site (Forum) seemed to go down all the time, and then just left town! I'm talking about 2 or so years ago. Are you talking about the one that's supported in Houston (Central Texas)? I haven't been to that one lately. They handled all the cruise info, and has a lot of cool members. :rockon:

Yah thats the web site I am talking about! :beer: SCOA was cool I was on there for long time under the screen name Jude L
I got a ton of good info when I 1st got my cobra..... :beer:
Good to see ya on here!!! :pepper:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Right ... same here. Is that Web Site around any more? I cut my Cobra teeth on their Forums. Talk about a "noob," that was me.

Good to see you're still around.

Users who are viewing this thread