oil dipstick tube damaged

lcarpen_2000

Established Member
I mangled it a bit taking ti out on an engine rebuild. I didn't realize how bad it was till I tried to reinstall it. Any idea if there is an aftermarket replacement for it? it is a 97 cobra.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
There aren't any that I could find. I wanted a flexible one but the only brand known,"Lokar" doesn't make one. I got the factory one again.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Just a quick search...

http://www.capa.com.au/shm_oil.htm

Im sure you can get them from places like 5.0 resto, mustangs unlimited.... ect..

regular

6754-2 Oil Dipstick Tube, 96-98 Cobra US$ 14.65

chrome

6754-5 Chrome Dipstick Tube, 96-98 Cobra US$ 29.35

Last edited:

ironman_jk

Established Member
Dipstick

I ran into the same problem. I broke my dipstick tube putting it back in after installing BBK longtube headers. Don't buy the Lokar one from Summit. It is for the 2V motor only, not 4V. I found this out the hard way. I am still looking for one and will let you know what I find. Lokar told me they can custom make one but I haven't got a price yet.

grabsand

Established Member
i beg to differ It was for 4 v cobra and thats what I have..Unless they did not sell enough to keep making em

ironman_jk

Established Member
That could be possible. I had to replace the dipstick tube when I installed Long tube headers on my 97 Cobra. I bought the Lokar part from summit (ED-5014) and have had problems ever since. Upon inspecting it along side the stock unit I noticed the oil full and add levels were different between the two. I called Lokar and they confirmed they don't sell a dipstick tube for my 4V motor. Maybe the guy I talked to didn't know what he was talking about.

grabsand

Established Member
huh, I have no clue than messed mine up to doing longtubes, got this and walla, it fits liek a glove, right into the dipstick hole, and fit snug, sealed good.. No leaks. what problems were u having.

ironman_jk

Established Member
My engine oil quantity was off. With the original dipstick equipment, every time I changed the oil and filter I needed to fill it up with 6.5 qts of oil. With the Lokar part, it was telling me a different amount. Too little oil, I believe. It fits like a glove like you said though. Does your Lokar dipstick tell you to put in the same amount of oil as the stock dipstick?

grabsand

Established Member
Your supposed to measure and modify the length of the stick to the stock one, as I did and was told by the guy at summitt. Once I did that it measures good. although i fill it up with at least 6.5 qts and call it a day..

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
With a custom set up like mine, and limited space i need a better dipstick than the one i made. Subscribing.

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
I also have the Lokar 4V dipstick in my Cobra.

Where did you buy it from? Do you have a website. Im gona need one asap once i finish a small electrical problem. Oil level on these motors is crucial, especially for hard driving.

Users who are viewing this thread