Oil dipstick questions?

jperez77

Established Member
We recently did a head gasket change on my car, a 98 cobra and im wanting to know if the dipstick tube can be put back in with the heads and manifolds in place? If anyone has a pic of it going in the oil pan that would be great i cant tell if it goes through the engine mount or around it? It looks like from the bends it will go around the mount but im not sure. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx Jason

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Goes through the mount...

dipstick.jpg

95PGTTech

Established Member
Don't mess it up - they are no longer available from Ford or basically anywhere new old stock. I got a 98GT unit from SHM and heated, bent it to match my stock one, then cut the mounting bracket off my stock one and welded it onto the 98GT one.

Fit well enough not to leak, but even for the time/effort investment I was not satisfied. The dipstick hesitates going down the tube at points and you have to wiggle/twist/pursuade it. A stock dipstick would have taken me ten minutes to install...

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Yeah, it really is easier if you have someone up top feeding it from the engine bay and someone below the car guiding it. Took my Dad and I maybe 30 seconds to get mine back in that way...

jperez77

Established Member
Thanks Tabres thats perfect now how to get this damn thing back in with out jacking it up. This is a brand new one that came in the headchanging kit. I should have installed it before i got the heads back on i guess but we over looked it. So im hoping i can snake it through the manifold and the mount now.

jperez77

Established Member
This thing is kicking my ass, i have just about gave up. Its in the hole but will not fully seat like something is blocking it.

jperez77

Established Member
Do you have the motor mount out? Removing it or loosening it gives you a lot of room more to wiggle.
No i dont i just got the car back together and running last night but the tube is not all the way seated still, if thats what it takes is to loosen the motor mount i may have to do that. I did a search on here and came up with a Lokar flexible dipstick that i may look into. Any comments on the Lokar would be of some help.

Users who are viewing this thread