oil dipstick for 7 qt pan?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
hey guys,
ive "heard"
you can get a oil dipstick out of some ford van that will work for the 7 qt pans.
anyone know any details on that one?

I have an MMR pan.
thanks
J

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Why do you need a new oil dipstick? The top of the oil level for an OEM pan versus say a Canton 7 qt pan will be the same. The added oil capacity is below the stock "watermark", you just need to know when it has dropped below that level.

I use a stock length dipstick in my 99 with my Canton road race pan. I run right at 9 quarts and since all of that extra capacity is below the stock oil level, if I ran a longer dipstick I would be shorting myself the extra capacity. Make sense?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
well i put 7qts in mine and it doesnt even hit the dipstick at all.
and ive heard stories of the turbo guys having alot of drain issues.

i ran 9.5 qts in my old canton tank no problem but i didnt have a turbo with it.

i dont understand why they call it a 7qt pan if you have to put in 9qts.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Well, maybe the stock is a 5 qt. pan. OEM doesn't call it out but in the tech section or some thread shows pictures of the stock pan holding 9 qts to the pan rail. I think brkntxn has the right idea, regardless of the pan volume, you are looking for the oil level on the same length dipstick. So 5 qts reading on the dipstic vs. 9 qts makes no difference. The oil level is still the same in relationship to the rotating assembly you just have much more oil now.

I'm installing a Moroso with the trap door baffles and 1/2 NPT drain this weekend when instaling the MM kemember kit so I'll be going thru the same deal and will chime in to let you know what I end up with. It's a 7qt pan too.

brkntrxn

Established Member
NoSlow - Yeah, I run 8.5-9 in my Canton pan, so I hear what you are saying on the confusion.

I'm installing a Moroso with the trap door baffles and 1/2 NPT drain this weekend when instaling the MM kemember kit so I'll be going thru the same deal and will chime in to let you know what I end up with. It's a 7qt pan too.

Do us a favor? Do the identical water test as that guy did with the stock pan, but do it on your Moroso pan to see how much it truly holds and post those pics in the same thread as the other guy. Is it a road race pan?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
also you dont want the bottom of the crank submerged in oil. filling the pan to the rail isnt going to be a good thing for the crank and the turbo drain lines.
maybe ill just give MMR a call.
ill let you know what they say.

brkntrxn

Established Member
The crank is way up inside the block. You would have to fill it so full that oil was actually up in the bottom of the block to touch the crank. If you use the stock dipstick, it would have to be way above the "full" line in order to come near the crank.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I have the same problem with mine. When we put 7 quarts in my car it would not even read on the stick. So I put another quart in it b/c I was not comfortable without seeing any oil on the stick.

I think the car is smoking a lil bit more than it use to and im beginning to wonder if the oil is having problems getting back into the pan b/c it might be "pushing" up against the oil that is already in the pan?

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
^ thats exactly what im afraid of.

I had no problem runnin 10 qts in the past, but now that the turbos are on i dont want to cover up those drain back lines now.

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
^ thats exactly what im afraid of.

I had no problem runnin 10 qts in the past, but now that the turbos are on i dont want to cover up those drain back lines now.

How high up did you tap the oil pan for the drain tubes? The pan you're running is deeper than stock (like mentioned above) so you have to use more oil so you don't starve the pump. While the engine is running and oil is circulating throughout the engine, it's highly unlikely that the drain tubes will be covered unless you tapped the pan really low.

gmsux

Established Member
I wonder if you could install a drain somewhere else like in the block if there is a tapped hole, or in the timing cover? Just a thought.

I'll do the water test with the pan, It is a roadrace pan. Went with it because it has the trap door baffles like the Canton but also has the 1/2 NPT threaded drainback in already and it was a good price from Holcomb.

gmsux

Established Member
Here ya'll go...

took 11qts to submerge the drainback. 12 to fill the pan. I'd say 9 should be no problem considering there will be a lot of oil in the filter and engine when running. I'll be relocating the oil filter so I might even be able to go 10qts easily. As mentioned, the crank is way above the pan line so windage is not a concern really.

Here's the empty pan
SNV30931.gif

4qts
SNV30933.gif

8qts
SNV30934.gif

8qts
SNV30935.gif

9qts
SNV30936.gif

9qts
SNV30937.gif

10qts
SNV30938.gif

11qts
SNV30940.gif

11qts
SNV30939.gif

12qts
SNV30941.gif

12qts
SNV30942.gif

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
^ your the man!
i would feel comfortable with 9 as long as its registering on the dipstick. ill give it a whirl.
my pan is tapped exactly where your is, on i have two drain back holes.

thanks much for the info though.

brkntrxn

Established Member
Great job, George!!!!! I am going to post your pics over in that same thread as the water test on the stock pan.

EDIT: The original OEM pan capacity thread is locked due to a bunch of BS that ensued. I sent Stampede an PM.

Last edited:

gmsux

Established Member
If you're happy with that, take a small file and mark that level.

You could go 10 maybe!

I put my pan on today and after installing it remembered I didn't check the pickup distance to the pan bottom... Damn. I don't think I'll worry about it with this pan and at least 9qts of oil!

SilverOne01

Established Member
Great info gmsux. No slow, I'm swapping from a Novi 2000 to a turbo and had the same concerns as you. I wanted to make sure the oil would drain with that much oil in the pan. I drained the oil, uncapped the tap, then added fresh oil. Once I started to get about 9 1/2 quarts in, I started to see a little drip. Once 10 quarts was in, I had a steady fast drip. 10 quarts was good for me and the oil will still drain with out any problems. Keep in mind the motor is sitting a slight rear angle so most of the oil will be a the rear of the pan.

gmsux

Established Member
It's hard to know how much oil will actually be at the drainback but figure in the engine running, filter capacity, engine angle and acceleration. I'm thinking 10qts may be needed to. If 9 measures 1/2 then it seems 10 may be better.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
yeah im thinking ill throw in 1 more qt too.
cause i would guess there is at least 1 qt flowing around the engine while its running
thanks for all the info and help guys
J

Users who are viewing this thread