Oil deflector in valve cover

granny03

Established Member
I sent my valve cover off to be sand blasted and powder coated .. My question is that the threads for the oil deflector in the valve cover are stripped and caked with sand and i am unable to get the bolts back in. Do I need the deflector on the valve cover or does anyone know what i can do ?

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Blow them out with compressed air, and run a tap through them to chase the threads. If they are stripped, just step up one size on the bolts and re-tap as necessary for bigger diameter bolts. You definetly want the deflector in there. i had mine sand blasted too, and was able to just blow them out and chase the threads with a tap. Blow them out again after running the tap through them and use blue loctite on the bolts when put back together.

KK:beer:

black 10th vert

Established Member
When I sent my covers out to a local powder coater, I just sent them as they are (with baffles intact). Before putting them on, though, I removed the baffles, and cleaned/blew everything out very well with compressed air. I'm really glad I did, because there was some extra blasting media trapped underneath. I would definitely not want that in my oil!:bash: Anyway, I painted them, and put them back on on with red locktite, so those damn little screws would never fall out in the valve train!

Users who are viewing this thread