Oil Covered Oil Filter - Read This

Draiter

Established Member
2013 GT500 with PP only.
Several oil changes now and I have noticed that each and every time there is a small drip of oil on the bottom of the filter. When the filter was spun on it was perfectly clean. Thought perhaps is was blow off from oil on the the top of the frame, so I sprayed with cleaner, and wiped it - squeaky clean.
Next oil change, JESUS-TAP-DANCING-CHRIST, oil on the filter again.... Is the filter leaking? NOPE, not at all, couldn't figure it out.
Clean frame again, and everything else as well, new filter, spotless....
Just did another change before putting it away for the winter (Love Canada, but **** these winters) and noticed oil on the filter again, well ****-a-duck.
So, this time I noticed something..... the oil filter is spun on to a cast aluminum housing, that is connected, via a cast aluminum tube, towards the front of the engine. Along that tube, about 6 or 7 inches in front of the filter housing (towards the front of the car) is a dark, steel bolt (it has a small yellow painted mark on it - at least on mine) when you see it, you'll know it as it stands out in contrast to the aluminum tube it is screwed into. It has a 22mm head on it.
On my car, that bolt had a drip of oil on it, and the aluminum tube it was screwed into had a trail of oil on it, that lead back to the filter. The bolt itself was leaking oil... not a lot mind you, but enough that it accumulated on the aluminum tube, and the back of the filter.
I threw a 22mm socket on it, and noticed is was slightly loose, tightened it down. I am pretty sure this is the source of the leak, and the drip on my filter. Have to wait 6 months to find out... :mj:

Just thought I would share my findings in case anyone else is having a similar problem.

EDIT - Took some pictures of the area.

CameraZOOM-20131026113952676_zpsb6566879.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131026114005540_zpsa25f1973.jpg

CameraZOOM-20131026114021042_zps740b9cbd.jpg

Last edited:

Draiter

Established Member
Draiter,
Tnx for the info - Getting ready to do my first oil change on my '14.
I'll be lookin' for that!

No Problem,
Should mention though that you need to remove the oil service cover to get a socket on that bolt.

:beer:

NELCO

Established Member
With the Track Pack the oil filter is in stock location, On the Block. No need to remove cover........
I just changed my oi to Amsoil racing full synthetic 15-50.... Unleashed Beast do you approve of this oil.................. Nelco:beer::beer::beer:

Trubble

Established Member
MODS please advise if this ??? is too "off topic"

Does anyone here have a recommendation on a shop manual for these cars? :shrug:

krman68

Established Member
Thanks Draitor. I too noticed have a very little bit oil on my filter. I will look for the bolt. My question - what is that bolt for? Seems odd that a bolt is in an aluminum tube without any real function

carguy19

Established Member
If its not too much trouble can you post a pic of the bolt.

And is your car a track pack or non track pack?

Draiter

Established Member
Only option on my car is the performance pack... and Recaros... but I don't think the bolt has anything to do with the reacaros... LOL...
I will crawl my fatass under there and snap a pic for you all...

BCPD199

Established Member
First, thanks for pointing this bolt out to us; but, more importantly, thank you for expanding my already salty vocabulary this morning, to wit: JESUS-TAP-DANCING-CHRIST and my new favorite saying - well ****-a-duck. I needed a good laugh this AM and you did't fail to provide. Thanks!

Draiter

Established Member
First, thanks for pointing this bolt out to us; but, more importantly, thank you for expanding my already salty vocabulary this morning, to wit: JESUS-TAP-DANCING-CHRIST and my new favorite saying - well ****-a-duck. I needed a good laugh this AM and you did't fail to provide. Thanks!

Ahhhh, no problem man... Just wanted to give a bit back... Lots of folks on here have helped me out.

You should be able to note that there is no discolouring from the oil in front of that bolt. It wasn't like finger loose or anything, but I was able to snug up it up with a socket.

I'm not even sure why that would even be there, perhaps someone "in-the-know" could chime in....

Users who are viewing this thread