Oil cooler to block leak

s351

Established Member
Hey guys I'm beyond frustrated trying to fix my leak that appears to be behind the oil filter adapter block. I drained the coolant and took the oil cooler and adapter off. Put on the new gasket "blue" rings, which ford has now made black.

Ran the car a bit to burp the coolant, and now a couple days later it's leaking again from behind the adapter block. It's not leaking very much but it's enough to bother me.

Am I missing something else or has anyone had a nagging leak from that spot. I'm not really sure what else I'm suppose to do.

It's only looks like oil leaking no coolant. Any ideas??

s351

Established Member
That's kinda what I'm trying to figure out it looks to me like it's behind the adapter, it was cleaned an rebuilt as what I was told, during the engine build, I'm pretty much at the point of deleting it. It's this is the second time I've had it off since trying to stop it from leaking.

gaspasr

Established Member
Wouldn't oil come out the weep hole if it was a cooler problem? My OW is leaking oil from the same area as yours. I cleaned it all up the other day and have been trying to find the source. Last time I looked there was a scant amount that I couldn't tell where it was coming from.

s351

Established Member
Ya I just was undereally my car let it run and watched the weep hole nothing came out of there. My oil starts behind the bottom bolt and then runs down to the bottom plug, by the sending unit on the adapter it's driving me nuts. I mean it could be leaking from top all the way day but hard to say.

Beavis281

Established Member
I used the same kit from speedconcepts. Did not personally install it my self.

Maybe pinched an O ring when you put it back together?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
You may have a problem with the mating surfaces. I would put a straightedge on the block and on the oil cooler to see if there are any low spots.

I had a problem with a water pump on a 5.0 engine some years ago. Mating surfaces were not flat (water pump was the problem). I used 2 gaskets with gorilla snot in between.

Also, I would wet each O-Ring with oil before installing to help avoid nicks.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Take a look at the inner part (the threaded tube piece) as its actually a separate part from the housing. I've found that to be loose in the past. Takes a rather large socket to tighten it down but that was my problem years ago. Pull it up on Google and you'll see what I mean.

s351

Established Member
Hey guys thanks for the reply's I did straight edge the adapter it looked fine, Its pretty hard to do the block with it in the car in that tight of a space. And are we talking the 1/2 inch hex head or the actual assembly mystic?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
The hex head. Consider that an o-ring isn't that thick in the grand scheme and may just need to turn 1/2 to 1 full turn to regain the sealing needed. I'm guessing after "X" amount of oil changes it can become loose, or at least that's what I think happened on mine at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread