oil cooler parts

exdeath

Established Member
So I'm a bit confused as to what gaskets and o rings there are between the block and the oil filter.

From my manual, and without taking it apart first since I want to have replacements on hand and finish in one sitting, all I see is a single piece oil/coolant gasket between the block and oil cooler base, and a large O ring between the oil cooler base and oil filter/lower hose adapter.

I'm one of those comprehensive balls to the wall or not at all types, so if I'm going to take apart the oil cooler, I'm only going to do it once.

So one gasket, 1 big O ring, anything else besides some high temp RTV for the sensor threads and the plugged bung below it?

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
The general reason these leak is an o-ring (there may be 2) on the threaded shaft the filter screws onto. It takes a 1/2" allen wrench. Best to check it everytime the filter comes off. If this shaft unscrews, it will leak oil out of a weep hole on the casting.

This shaft has to be unscrewed to remove the housing in case you do have a leak at that gasket.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread