Oil Cooler Leaking?

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
This one is very strange to me so maybe I could pick some of your brains as well. The last 2 times I have taken the Cobra out for a spin, I pulled it out of the garage and it was dripping/leaking oil. It was merky like it was mixed with coolant. Couldn't figure it out. So I jacked her up cleaned it all off and it seems to be leaking from the oil cooler. This is the kicker.....It has a pin size hole in the bottom (not sure if that is supposed to be there or not), figured it was a breather or something like that? It seems to be coming from that hole :shrug: It bubbles out of it when it is running. So my question would be, would the cooler itself be going bad or needs to be re-gasketed. I have no Idea.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The hole is supposed to be there. First thing would be to make sure everything is tight. If it's tight it's time for new o-rings.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I have never messed with it besides pulled the filter and putting a new one on. I was probably thinking the same thing. Usually how it works, get everything done and drive it for a couple months a something small tends to go wrong, like o-rings.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
You can try taking the filter off and tightening the mounting stud first. It is a large hex, don't remember the size. If that doesn't take care if it, o rings like others have said.

Cbarr300

Established Member
Just tightened mine because of the leak out the weephole. Very common. Just take the filter off and get a 1/2 inch hex. I think the torque spec is like 55, so it gets pretty snug. Mine was loose as crap. BTW, there may be some residual oil leaking out after you tighten it. So give it some time to empty out before you think it doesn't work. I've seen this kill motors at the shop because people don't pay attention to their oil level. Fwiw, if you don't have the hex you can use a grade 8 1/2 bolt double nutted on the end to tighten it in a pinch. I'd recommend just buying the hex though

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Just tightened mine because of the leak out the weephole. Very common. Just take the filter off and get a 1/2 inch hex. I think the torque spec is like 55, so it gets pretty snug. Mine was loose as crap. BTW, there may be some residual oil leaking out after you tighten it. So give it some time to empty out before you think it doesn't work. I've seen this kill motors at the shop because people don't pay attention to their oil level. Fwiw, if you don't have the hex you can use a grade 8 1/2 bolt double nutted on the end to tighten it in a pinch. I'd recommend just buying the hex though

FYI a 1/2" bolt doesn't have a 1/2" head, need a 5/16" bolt to get a 1/2" head

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Alright I will try out the hex bolt first and see if that does anything. If not I will hit the O-Rings. Thanks guys!!!

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I thought I would give an update. The Cold finally let up a bit so I got out in my garage and took off my oil filter and sure enough, that damn hex bolt was loose. Even with oil on my hands I could move it. Thanks again guys!!! No more oil leak!!!

devin_svt

Established Member
mine kinda does the same thing, but only when its cold... it drips for like a minute then once it kinda warms up it stops. then it drips after being shut off. I was thinking it was a oil cooler gasket? cause once it gets warm im guessing it expands and stops the leak. anyone have experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread