Oil cooler leaking?

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Hello, just bought this Cobra 6 days ago, changed the oil and filter a couple days ago with no leaking, but today I started her up and its gushing out somewhere in the vicinity of the oil cooler.
I read on here about the "filter stud" coming loose?? Maybe I loosened it when removing oil filter?
Does this mean removing oil filter and tightening bolt there? In the middle?
And are the other things I could have disturbed that would cause a massive leak??
Thanks for the help, I'd like to fix it on my lunch break if it's an easy fix. JD

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

52merc

Established Member
Yes, it is likely the "bolt" has backed off some. You can try tightening it and it may stop the leak. There is also an o-ring kit for the cooler which likely should be changed out as a precaution.

solis castillo

Established Member
Hello, just bought this Cobra 6 days ago, changed the oil and filter a couple days ago with no leaking, but today I started her up and its gushing out somewhere in the vicinity of the oil cooler.
I read on here about the "filter stud" coming loose?? Maybe I loosened it when removing oil filter?
Does this mean removing oil filter and tightening bolt there? In the middle?
And are the other things I could have disturbed that would cause a massive leak??
Thanks for the help, I'd like to fix it on my lunch break if it's an easy fix. JD

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

first figure where in the oilcooler is leaking from, the Stud could be loose or the o ring is damage and the gasked on the block could be broken. yes you have to remove the filter to get access to the stud.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
So the cooler can removed without lifting the motor? Looks real tight in there.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
So the cooler can removed without lifting the motor? Looks real tight in there.

Yes it can. The oil cooler does not require the engine to be raised or removed. If the leak just started after changing the oil then get the big allen socket (can't remember the size offhand) and tighten it. Most likely it got loose when removing the filter.

Sent from my SM-T710 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jdsupertinter

Established Member
12 mm it was but no go, got a better look today as it leaked, coming from the top of the assembly, as far as I can tell it's just pouring from the bolts and everywhere. I'm guessing I need to replace the whole thing? Or can I just replace the O ring?

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Ok, so according to Haynes all I need is a gasket, can I trust this?
The brake section was about worthless.

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
Ok, so according to Haynes all I need is a gasket, can I trust this?
The brake section was about worthless.

Here is a link to what you need to completely reseal your cooler. I've not looked at a Haynes manual to see if they have much cobra specific information. I rely more on forums as there aren't many things that somebody hasn't dealt with and they're usually helpful folk.

OIL COOLER O-RING GASKETS & HEX TOOL REBUILD KIT 1996-2004 COBRA, Speed Concepts

Sent from my SM-T710 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

brucesvt

Established Member
I had the same issue and I installed a gasket and the leak stopped

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Another thought, the car had a new radiator and water pump installed before I got it, is it possible that the oil cooler lines were already loose, and by changing oil filter and moving those dangling lines back forth made them looser and caused the leak?
It wasn't leaking before the oil change, and that bothers me. I want to know what I did.
And maybe I just need to tighten the oil cooler lines. This stupid Haynes manual doesn't have exploded views of anything anymore.
But it looks like 2 lines screw directly into the oil cooler, am I wrong?

scottydsntknow

Established Member
4 bolts that hold the housing to the block have a gasket and then the big allen bolt holds the actual cooler to the housing. Remove filter, loosen the allen bolt, remove the cooler portion (CARFULLY) and then you have access to all 4 bolts. Unplug the oil pressure sensor and then remove the 4 bolts and remove housing. There is a gasket under there that might have gone bad, easy fix.

The other thing to check is the oil sensor bung. I learned myself how easy it is to split that thing putting the sensor in. If that happens you need to find someone selling a used cooler or just swap to the GT setup without a cooler. Its really not needed tbth.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Appreciate it! I got the gasket kit coming, gonna remove it today, after warms up a bit. Will be looking into removing it completely later...... being in Florida, you still think it's ok to delete cooler? I don't like it, seems like a lot could go wrong with oil passing around oil filter.

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
I’m curious as well,would it cause any issues without the cooler?
Reason why i ask,is because i’m thinking of deleting mine for a Gt oil cooler.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
From what I've read it is a popular swap, but I'm apprehensive as well.
I'm a big believer in "the engineers put that there for reason"

jdsupertinter

Established Member
Done!! Woo hoo!! No leaks, ran it for a good 15 minutes, bone dry!
Awesome, thanks guys!!!!

VNMHISS

Established Member
Done!! Woo hoo!! No leaks, ran it for a good 15 minutes, bone dry!
Awesome, thanks guys!!!!

Any helpful tips on doing this fix? I have to do it soon, and I hear that one of the four bolts holding the oil cooler adapter is a PITA to get to.

jdsupertinter

Established Member
The small o ring on the oil filter shaft was torn, but they were all dry and tore apart easily.
If you take the cooler off the adapter it's easy, all bolts easy to get to. It literally took about 20 minutes to reinstall
Highly recommend cable style hose clamp pliers, when removing it took me at least 30 min just to get the hose off, like I said, when reinstalling it was a breeze.

Users who are viewing this thread