Oil Cooler help

dtonesfan

Established Member
ok my car has a oil leak and it might be the oil cooler. i look un der my car and where the oil filter screws in. there is a bolt on the bottom with a hex head on it. its unscrewed out about two threads and i can see a orange ring. now is that suppose to be fully tighten so you dont see any threads and the orange ring. Im not familar with the oil cooler on these cars so any help would be great. this is my first cobra and trying to learn as much as i can thanks guys.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Inside where the oil filter screws on or the outside with an electrical connector on it? If it's teh inside, that is the hex stud that the filter screws onto and it also holds the cooler onto the block. It takes a 1/2" hex IIRC. The one outside is the oil pressure gauge sending unit. The orange is the thread locker. The oil cooler also has an intrnal vent that is a pin hole size and oil commonly leaks out of it. Tighten up the oil cooler and you should be fine.

dtonesfan

Established Member
its the hex bolt next to the electrical connector if you looked under the car from the front. from showing two threads should it be tightened.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It probaly doesn't need it since that thread locker is really strong. Put a hex on it and tighten it if you want. Most likely your oil is coming from the vent hole in the cooler.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
The filter is at the high point in the system so you don't have to drain the oil. Sears sells the hex big enough to use

Users who are viewing this thread