Oil Cooler Delete- Again.

UARPREY

Established Member
I know this has been brought up, talked about, solved, a million and 3 times on this forum.

However, I can't seem to find the thread I found awhile back, which held all the answers I believe. So my apologies for making a new thread on this.

The car, 03 cobra obviously.

My original oil cooler began to seep coolant from behind the filter, out of the core I assume. At 100k miles.

I ordered the kit from speed concepts, did everything to the T, filled her back up with coolant, and out it came from the same place it was leaking from originally.

Not literally ALL the coolant at once, but it was leaking worse than before. Maybe I pinched a o ring, maybe the cooler itself has a hairline crack,I don't know, and I don't care..I want this son of a bitch oil boiler gone.

I've already ordered and received an MMR oil filter relocation with bolt on adapter. But now, I'm not so sure I wanna go that route..I don't want the oil filter behind the bumper, harder messier to change etc.

So I was looking around a while back, and I remember people saying you could use a 96-98 Cobra oil filter adapter, or a Mark VIII adapter. My question is, will this work? My alternator is in the stock location, still a blower car, basically stock with a whipple on top.

I'm only considering this now, because like I said I don't really wanna drill and mount a filter head somewhere, as the car is really clean, even though it is " high miles" just hit 100K on a 15 yr old car, I wouldn't consider it high mileage, but that's not the question here lol.

Anyway, what are the for sure options that work for 03/04 cobra with alternator in stock location before I go ****in around with this MMR kit?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Dimitri318

Established Member
I was looking to do this and from what I’ve read you can get use a 99-04 oil filter adapter to take away the cooler but I forget if you are just supposed to cap off the hose that runs to the cobra oil cooler. And I decided to go turbo so I need to buy a oil filter relocater if you wanna sell the MMR kit lol :beer:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If the 96-98 adapter is the same as the 99/01 adapter I can tell you it won't work. The angle of the hose inlet is wrong. It'll hit the alternator. I don't know about the Mark adapter as I never played with one of those.

I have the MM relocation kit and it's not bad. The only issue I have is that the adapter that replaces the filter always seems damp. I can't tell if it's from not being tight enough or if it's something with the fittings. It's never left a drop of oil anywhere. I just have to wipe things down when I'm under the car.

Users who are viewing this thread