Oil Cooler/Adapter loose?

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
Hey, second time this has happened. Changing the oil, removed the oil filter and the oil cooler is loose/wobbly? So I see the fitting that the oil filter threads onto is actually what holds the oil cooler to the engine. It's pretty loose. Inside the threads, it's hollow but with a hex opening, like for an allen wrench. See the graphic below, where the lower left arrow is pointing.

So I try to measure the hex opening and as best I can tell it's like 7/16 or 11 mm. The service manual has the torque values but not the wrench size. So I put off finishing the project and head to Sears for a hex key socket or allen wrench. No dice, they don't carry either of those sizes. Called Harbor Freight, they don't have it either. So I just find the biggest flat blade screwdriver I have and do the best I can to snug it. Of course I can't get anywhere near the 43 lb/ft it needs. So I spin on a new filter and cross my fingers...

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Can anyone confirm the actual size wrench I need? eBay is the next step if I can be sure of the right size wrench. Thanks.

lxhatch302

Established Member
i noticed mine did the same thing and got it as tight as i could and then the filter went on more snug then normal but havnt had any problems...

but this explains why my car leaked oil when it was below 20* when it was first fired up

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
SnakeBit, you've actually used the 1/2" on this fitting?

If so, that size will be much easier for me to find. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread