Oil Cooler Adapter Compatibility

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I need to get the oil cooler adapter piece for my motor. Just to be clear, I'm referring to the piece that goes between the oil cooler and the block. Now I'm at a bit of a loss as to which one will actually work. LRS has one listed as a 96-04 4v, and another site has one listed as "96-98, 01-04 Mustang" which essentially corresponds to the Romeo block. Did ford maintain the same adapter design from the Teksid/WAP aluminum blocks to the 03/04 Cobra, which had the Romeo block? Or did they have to revert to the Romeo style adapter?

Example diagram of the part from LRS:
lrs-6881a.jpg

Basically, is the adapter application specific, or is it block specific? Do I need a Cobra/Mach 1/MKVIII adapter, or do I need a more generic Romeo casting? I'm sure there might be some member out there that can cross reference part numbers.

Or if anyone has any pictures for comparison that would also be appreciated.

I don't want to get burned on one of these compatibility issues again. I already messed up thinking all Romeo water pump pullies are the same. They're not. Not to mention if I know what I'm looking for it would be much easier to pull a junkyard piece for $20 versus shelling out $150+ on a new one.

Ironhand

Banned
I think they are basically the same but come with different gaskets depending on if you have an Iron or Aluminum block.

MACHSTR

I need to know if the 96-98 adapter will work with a 03-04 oil cooler. They look the same.

MACHSTR

I ordered a used 96-98 cobra oil cooler adapter part # F6ZE-6884-BC for $80. I have a 03-04 oil cooler. I cracked the oil pressure sensor threads on my 03-04 adapter part # F8ZE-6884-AA. Visually they look exactly the same. Does anyone know if there is any difference at all in the part? If there is any difference, will my 03-04 cobra oil cooler still fit on this 96-98 cobra adapter without it leaking? Please help me, I may still be able to cancel the order before it ships if it won't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread